X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aad03

• Jan 2010

Working in and out of side punches

Still pretty sloppy and choppy, but I'm working on coming intoand out of combos with elbows, particularly the side punches. I'll get a new vid up when I smooth it out some.

• spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Damn! You are killin it!
    Smokin since last summer in TX outside the club!
    GREAT JOB!

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

Thanks Brian, it helped that you showed me how to throw the phantom and side punches. Seeing the guys at the St. Louis event also told me it was time to step my game up.

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by aad03 View Post
        Still pretty sloppy and choppy, but I'm working on coming intoand out of combos with elbows, particularly the side punches. I'll get a new vid up when I smooth it out some.
        That's some fast hittin' great job. Nice phantom punching in there.

Thanks for the shout out to the forum, it's good to see the community grow.

Thanks Brian, it helped that you showed me how to throw the phantom and side punches. Seeing the guys at the St. Louis event also told me it was time to step my game up.
        Yeah, there's nothing quite like standing next to skunk to make you realize your bag inadequacies Been there, done that many times.

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

I thought about getting some decals made that said speedbagforum.com, and sticking one on the board, then sending the rest to other members. But, I just used a permanent marker instead.

I figured the decals might be a good idea, but it should be something that other members, especially the founder, agree on, and a design that everyone approves of. That would be cool to see videos from people all across the world with a speedbagforum decal on the platform. I think that would give this site an even stronger presence as the official speed bag community worldwide.

Two major factors to take into consideration: 1) Text should be big enough to read on a typical youtube sized video, and 2) Decal should be in a spot on the drum that does not get pounded by the bag, so that it doesn't wear out. To have both of these, the decal would probably have to follow the top arc of the swivel, inside of the bag striking zone.

I'm just throwing out an idea, but if anyone else is on board (pun intended) with this idea, I'd be glad to chip in some money to make it happen.

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

Tim, the shape of your text on the logo at the top of the page is already perfect actually. Just noticed that.

Comment

• toolboxdiver
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Jan 2008

awesome video

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

I thought about getting some decals made that said speedbagforum.com, and sticking one on the board, then sending the rest to other members. But, I just used a permanent marker instead.

I figured the decals might be a good idea, but it should be something that other members, especially the founder, agree on, and a design that everyone approves of. That would be cool to see videos from people all across the world with a speedbagforum decal on the platform. I think that would give this site an even stronger presence as the official speed bag community worldwide.

Two major factors to take into consideration: 1) Text should be big enough to read on a typical youtube sized video, and 2) Decal should be in a spot on the drum that does not get pounded by the bag, so that it doesn't wear out. To have both of these, the decal would probably have to follow the top arc of the swivel, inside of the bag striking zone.
                I'm just throwing out an idea, but if anyone else is on board (pun intended) with this idea, I'd be glad to chip in some money to make it happen.
                Like your Idea, noticed it right away. How about outside of the bag area near the edge. A lot of boards are the 24" dia so one size fits most. Of course Tim has that monster board so that would be custom size. Somehow I think Tim planed the logo that way.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by PIEFURZ; 02-22-2011, 02:13 AM.

Comment

• Biff
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Nice work, Aaron. You've shown great progress ove rthe last year. I like the decal idea too.

Comment

• baggins
                    • Oct 2010

"when I smooth it out one day"???? You rock man!!!

Comment

• Inkspill
                      • Dec 2010

decal: great idea! Maybe something in white with black outline, or 2 versions for different board colors? I like the idea of something that fits the inner diameter so it's not pounded by the bag, something wide enough that you could see it clearly when the bag is still.

Video: what is phantom punching? I really dug your consistent flow and rhythm. You did really well at keeping the bag going where you wanted it to go.

Another question, I may not understand or might be missing something, it looked to me like the punches were front and back not the sides, that may also be because I am thinking of side to side as more a 90 degree hit (to 3 o clock and 9 o clock). My apologies if I am incorrect, thank you for any clarification.

Anyway, cool striking with the elbows, you're moving quickly and smoothly/no hesitation/pauses

Comment

• Tim
                        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Tim, the shape of your text on the logo at the top of the page is already perfect actually. Just noticed that.
                        Great idea! I actually thought about decals as well. The hang up for me has always been that I don't have an eye for art or graphic design. I did hack together the official logo using InkScape, but I lost the source file a long time ago It wouldn't be hard for someone to re-create it though. I simply made some text and used a warping function or something to curve the text around.

Originally posted by PIEFURZ View Post
                        Like your Idea, noticed it right away. How about outside of the bag area near the edge. A lot of boards are the 24" dia so one size fits most. Of course Tim has that monster board so that would be custom size. Somehow I think Tim planed the logo that way.
                        Um... yes! I planned it that way Actually it was so long ago, I really don't know if I planned it that way or if it was sheer coincidence

Originally posted by Inkspill View Post
                        decal: great idea! Maybe something in white with black outline, or 2 versions for different board colors? I like the idea of something that fits the inner diameter so it's not pounded by the bag, something wide enough that you could see it clearly when the bag is still.
                        I like the outline idea, something high contrast is nice. Personally, in addition to the under the board decal, I'd also like a decal that could go along the edge of the board so that it can be seen while videoing from the more conventional angles.

Anybody want to take a stab at some potential designs?

Video: what is phantom punching? I really dug your consistent flow and rhythm. You did really well at keeping the bag going where you wanted it to go.
                        Watch around :16 to :19 in the clip. He hits with one arm, then "sneaks in" the other fist underneath the one that just punched the bag. That's a "phantom" punch. It's a move that Dee Pooler popularized (at least lately, it may have been invented at some other point in the past).

Another question, I may not understand or might be missing something, it looked to me like the punches were front and back not the sides, that may also be because I am thinking of side to side as more a 90 degree hit (to 3 o clock and 9 o clock). My apologies if I am incorrect, thank you for any clarification.
                        1:26 - 1:29 of the clip is textbook alternating Side Double Punch (SDP) (from the speed bag bible - page 80 in the 3rd printing).

It's better to think of the bag as having 360 degrees on which to hit, and side punches can be anywhere in the 90 degree (45 degree Plus or minus from the 3 O'clock/ 9 o'clock) range on the "side". See here for a graphic: http://www.speedbagcentral.com/ssp/bag_areas_angles

Of course it is possible to side punch directly 90 degrees (3 o'clock and 9 o'clock) positions. Also skunk's "windshield wipers" technique is hitting at the 90 degree mark.
                        Last edited by Tim; 02-22-2011, 07:41 AM.

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

Gonna start a decal thread in the "Discussion" section.

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

Baggins, thanks. But like Tim said, you don't realize how far you still have to go until you are next to a better bagger. Hitting next to Skunk in St. Louis was both inspiring and depressing at the same time. If he's a 10, I'm probably a strong 3.

Comment

• Inkspill
                              • Dec 2010

thanks Tim! I will have to watch the video again at home on the computer. my phone is not the ideal screen to watch on lol. I appreciate the details on the phantom punch and the side punches - I will remember to think of them as a range or area of the bag, like in the link you included. appreciated sir.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...