• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • milleniumaire
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2016

New platform

I've just joined speedbagforum.com and started using a new speedball platform that I installed in my garage.

It's an adjustable "Rebook" platform although there's not actually ANY Rebook branding on it. When looking around I saw a number of platforms similar to this one, all with different brand names, so I suspect they are made by a single company.

The platform is very solid, however, I'm not so sure about the swivel. As you can see it's a chainlink type and seems to be very long.

From reviewing this type of link, I get the impression it is slower (due to the length), it results in uneven wear on the speedball due to the same sides hitting the platform and it is difficult to change the speedball.

Although I'm new to using this platform, I'm beginning to think I need to change the swivel as I feel as though even the 6 x 9 Lonsdale bag is a little slow on the rebound i.e. it feels like I'm waiting for the bag. I guess this could be because I'm not hitting it hard enough, or because it has further to travel. It also seems to jam easily when hit from the sides, but is fine when hit from the front.

It is definitely difficult to change bags, however, the swivel can be easily screwed/unscrewed to/from the platform.

I've been looking at other swivels that also use the same screw mechanism, but I'm not sure if they are a standard size and if they would simply screw onto mine. I would be interested in trying a U bolt type.
    Attached Files
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

There was a time when a number of the swivels on the market had interchangeable platform flanges. However, of late a lot of the ones being made overseas now use metric threads, instead of the NPC threads that were standard on US made swivels. There is no "standard" when it comes to these, and the only way to insure interchangeability is stay with one make (as long as the manufacturer stays with the same specifications).

The "U" bolt swivel is good for quick change of bags, but limits you to front to back and side to side hitting, with transition between the two movements difficult at best. If you just want to hit the bag front to back and vice versa this will do

If you have been reading these boards you should be familiar with the ball and hook swivel. It's oldest surviving style, the originals dating back to the WWI era. They allow quick change of bags, and 360 degree hitting of the bag. It does take a little more patience to master hitting with one of these, but not that much more. There are a couple of modern versions of this swivel available at this time. Feel free to ask opinions from the board members on here, lots of experience to learn from.

Comment

• milleniumaire
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Mar 2016

Thanks Dutchman, I was reading a very useful article on speedbagforum last night about the different types of swivels. It suggested that some bags may need to be taped onto a U-bolt swivel and I can see why this might be so, to stop it sliding around. Obviously, that isn't an issue with the chainlink swivel that came with my platform.

When you say "but limits you to front to back and side to side hitting, with transition between the two movements difficult at best" is this due to the bag sliding on the swivel or is there another reason?

Also, what is it about the ball and hook swivels that requires mastering? Is this simply because the ball allows the swivel to easily move in any direction (something that doesn't really happen with my chainlink swivel)?

It's unfortunate that the swivels aren't easily interchangeable, simply by unscrewing one and screwing in another. As my chainlink swivel came with the platform I've no idea what make it is. I assume the position of screw holes in the swivel are also variable, so there's no guarantee that another swivel would simply screw into the same holes and I would need to drill new ones.

Got my 10 x 7 bag yesterday and spent some time switching them over (the link on the chainlink swivel is VERY difficult to get off). Fortunately, I didn't suffer any finger cuts in the process . I have noticed, with this larger bag, it hits the platform board at the very edge. I feel sure this is due to the length of the swivel, which compared to some of the photos of other swivels, seems to be very long. Unfortunately, while this bag may be okay for my 15 year old son, it feels far too slow for me, even as a novice! I think I definitely need another swivel, preferably with the same screw fitting, simply to allow us to switch bags over more easily, as I can't imagine having to remove the chain link on a regular basis.

It seems like nobody as yet invented the "perfect" swivel that meets all the following requirements:
      - Smooth
      - Short
      - Not directional (like the chainlink)
      - Fixed bag connection (unlike the U-bolt).
      - Easy to remove bag (the U-bolt pin is the closest, but even this looks as though it needs a tool)
      - Standard screw fitting to allow easy interchange
      - Quality, lasting construction
      - Good price (very subjective I know, but at a good price I would be tempted to purchase a few to make bag changes quick and easy)

If I'm wrong, please point me in the right direction

Maybe I'll look at some hook type swivels, but isn't there a chance the bag might slide off?

Comment

• spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

yes I have a swivel that meets or exceeds

Could this be not the best answer I could say??
        I have secured a patent on a swivel that has exactly what you have listed. I have been a great tester of my equipment, Oh yeah and did I mention that I have been to all gatherings in Keyport NJ with the fastest and most Speed Demon punch counted people in the world?? My equipment is Boss and I have testimony. haha loved all the good times!! Met some of the best people to hang with from all over.
        Getting back to the Swiv, It is called the Psycho Swiv and it has a brother or two that may be reasonably priced.
        I think Im in the right direction for securing rights and finding a made in the USA manufacturer and then there is the costs!!, the dreaded start up costs.
        I could have went the other way and spent lots of time and resources on just making the swivels but I wouldn't be the Bagging entertainer that I am now!!
        Thanks for the post and questions and Welcome to the Forum
        The Speed Ball should be in every hall

Comment

• spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

haha

Anyone who wants to buy a prototype and patent please let me know!!
          Not reasonably priced though!! lol
          The Speed Ball should be in every hall

Comment

• milleniumaire
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Mar 2016

Thanks for the info TommyT. Before I saw your post I went and ordered a Deville No 13 ball and hook swivel as this seems to get very good reviews. Watched one of your videos earlier - awesome skills. I aspire to hit the speedball like that. Hopefully one day.

It will be interesting to compare it to the chainlink swivel that came with the platform, which apart from being long, also has a habit of coming loose!

The Lonsdale Super Pro 6 x 9 bag is going back to sugarrays as it is loosing too much air and I'm wondering if I should get a refund and invest a little more into a "better" quality speedbag. I'm not sure if I would be able to tell the difference at my level. sugarrays have so far been good about the issue and have offered me a replacement or a refund. Good service from them.

I really need to stop spending money on this new pastime
            Last edited by milleniumaire; 03-16-2016, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• PunchDrunk
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by spdyTommyT View Post
              Anyone who wants to buy a prototype and patent please let me know!!
              Not reasonably priced though!! lol
              Hey spdyTommyT

I would definitely be interested in buying a soon to be legendary prototype swivel from you message me to let me know how you want to work out payment

Thanks
              Mario Isaac Albero
              PunchDrunk

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...