X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgatt
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Met, sure glad you got to see Spin and the added bonus of seeing Alan. It's amazing how such talented people remain so humble. Some people let it get to their heads but not them.

For the record, Alan told me Spin was coming to Texas. Two things happened that I had my sister come to Austin and then my Mom got real ill and I had to ride up to St. Louis to see her and I just got back yesterday. I told my sisters that I could have seen Journey backstage and they said they loved Journey's songs.

Spin, you're one fine gentleman.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
      I told my sisters that I could have seen Journey backstage and they said they loved Journey's songs.
      Thanks Atgatt. That's cool that you could have seen Journey backstage! They are a great band. HAHA......
      To get to the point, I think you are mistaking my drumming position in "Foreigner" with "Journey"! No biggie.
      Foreigner and Journey toured together in 1999 all Summer. I was the drummer for F-er then too. The drummer got injured one night and I got on his kit and sat in as best I could with no notice and no rehearsal, never played with them before and never played drummer Deen Castronova's kit before.
      It was ok albeit a few train wrecks on my part!
      So yes, technically I have played with Journey but I've never really been their drummer!
      By the way..... Foreigner is at House Of Blues in Dallas tomorrow (Tues... 11-3). If you can make it, let me know. The speed bag truck will be there and I will be in it in the late afternoon!
      BAG ON!

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
        ...To get to the point, I think you are mistaking my drumming position in "Foreigner" with "Journey"!...
        I've never made that mistake, SSP, but for the longest time I assumed you were a roadie with Foreigner. Imagine my embarrassment!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by paranday View Post
          I've never made that mistake, SSP, but for the longest time I assumed you were a roadie with Foreigner. Imagine my embarrassment!
          That's funny! Proving yet again that in no way I am a rock star! Some think that the association to such a big name in the rock world as Foreigner does one make, but it just ain't that simple when you get down to it.
          Angus Young is a rock star! David Lee Roth is a rock star! Jim Morrison is a rock star! But I am drummer that plays with big named rock bands...
          BAG ON!

Comment

• Biff
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

That's funny! Proving yet again that in no way I am a rock star! Some think that the association to such a big name in the rock world as Foreigner does one make, but it just ain't that simple when you get down to it.
            Angus Young is a rock star! David Lee Roth is a rock star! Jim Morrison is a rock star! But I am drummer that plays with big named rock bands...
            BAG ON!
            A pretty damn good drummer, my friend.

Comment

• paranday
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Sep 2009

BAG ON!
              Just to clarify, it's because people around here call you Spin, or SSP, or spinsmashpop: your given name doesn't always get mentioned, so I didn't catch on right away to the obvious. But to your point, I imagine guys like Vinnie Colaiuta, Aynsley Dunbar, and Terry Bozzio have had something of the same "problem" as you. (I grew up listening to Zappa, these are the names of some of MY heroes.)

The percussion section is where some of the more interesting musicians reside. Bag on!

Comment

• metaldad
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2007

Metaldad.....
                !
                Next time, you will have to pound them up a bit.
                It didn't happen this time because when we finished soundcheck, a couple guys still had to work on a part of a song so I didn't want to be rude....
                BAGS UP!
                And you're damn right I'm gonna take you up on that!! You're gonna have to show me a basic beat/fill Thank you again for an awesome albeit short time together!

Originally posted by baggaholics View Post

we're looking forward to the weekend...to be back in a gadda da bagging!!
                suse & silvi
                in a gadda da baggin baby, fist rollin and elbows for you....in a gadda da baggin honey gotta work on my side doubles true......oh won't you bag with me and make this sound oh won't you bag with me spinnin round and around......knockin that bag down owwwwwwwwwwww

Oh my, try punch drumming to all 17 minutes of that.
                Better yet, try fist rolling that!
                Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                Met, sure glad you got to see Spin and the added bonus of seeing Alan. It's amazing how such talented people remain so humble. Some people let it get to their heads but not them.

Again I must say, it felt like I was visiting with family. No joke, no smoke , seriously Alan and Brian treated me like family. Great guys both of them!

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                A pretty damn good drummer, my friend.
                To be mere feet away from him while he was soling infront of a packed house was astonishing!!

Oh, and here's another vid of me trying to work in what I learned from spins and Alan last Thurs!. Brian did you know that WGN played you guys again this morning? I told my wife that it was taped from last week when you guys were there. Ithink iyou were playing"Hot Blooded".

sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I'm gonna tell Hippie you said that......

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

BAG ON!
                    . . . A Drummer that hits the Speed Bag on stage with big name rock bands - NOW THAT'S a Rock Legend!
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• baggaholics
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Oct 2009

[QUOTE=metaldad;14483]
                      in a gadda da baggin baby, fist rollin and elbows for you....in a gadda da baggin honey gotta work on my side doubles true......oh won't you bag with me and make this sound oh won't you bag with me spinnin round and around......knockin that bag down owwwwwwwwwwww

he metaldad,
                      ha ha ha amazing!!!!!!

Comment

• atgatt
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Thanks Atgatt. That's cool that you could have seen Journey backstage! They are a great band. HAHA......
                        To get to the point, I think you are mistaking my drumming position in "Foreigner" with "Journey"! No biggie.
                        Spin, again you show what a great guy you are giving a fool like me a graceful way out. Somehow I got in my "mind" a while back that Journey was the group and I never caught it since then about Foreigner. I keep thinking of that song, Don't Stop Believing and I have to keep my groups straight. Sorry man.

I am proud at my age that I don't get AC/DC's music mixed up with Lawrence Welk's.

My all time favorite Rock song is AC/DC's It's a Long Way to the Top. You are certainly at the Top by not only how you drum, but how you live. Bravo!

Comment

• Jordan
                          • Jun 2009

great stuff MD....looks like another blast of a time on the speed bag truck

Comment

• metaldad
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                            great stuff MD....looks like another blast of a time on the speed bag truck
                            I'll tell you man., for a few hours I didn't have to think about my job, my bills or anything other than being with friends and baggin'....Oh and there just happened to be this really kick ass rock show going on with this amazing drummer....................WIZARD!!!
                            sigpic

Comment

• MP76
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Nov 2009

Looks like you guys had an great time.
                              That Speed Bag Truck looks AWESOME!!!
                              I want one.
                              MP76

Comment

• goju
                                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                                Oh, and here's another vid of me trying to work in what I learned from spins and Alan last Thurs!.

ive been trying for weeks on how you guys do that..

nevermind i worked it out this afternoon.. cheers for the vid MD, much easier to see how to do it when its done a bit slower.. nice bagging btw
                                Last edited by goju; 11-06-2009, 10:07 AM. Reason: worked it out. and extra comments

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...