X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • INDYFIGHTER
    • Sep 2006

Just getting started

I've always wanted a speed bag to train on and now I have one. Had it about three days and I've spent about a half hour a day playing with it. Think I could use a size larger bag but I'm doing well with the one I've got. I was excited to find this forum and look forward to reading all the posts.
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

What kind of setup do you have and what size is your bag? If you're not sure post a model number...

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

Go to Alan Kahn's (he's known as "Speedbag" here) website: http://www.speedbagcentral.com/

Look it over, paying attention to the videos. I'd highly recommend contacting him about buying his DVD's. I'd start with the first one obviously, it took me about two months to master everything on that DVD. Once you're really comfortable, he's got more advanced DVD's you can get.

Good luck! This is a really fun sport that offers great exercise!

Chris

Comment

• INDYFIGHTER
        • Sep 2006

This is my bag. http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=25256
        And this is the platform I purchased. http://www.ringside.com/detail.aspx?ID=25768

I've already watched the Alans demo. WOW! I had no idea so much was possible on a speed bag! REALLY impressive and alot to work at. I would love to get his dvds eventually. I worked out last night which included four rounds on the speedbag. Spent a few minutes trying to hit it coming back and managed it a few times. I think you guys have talked me into getting a ball swivel plastic or metal. I'm useing the chain link swivel and I think I'd be happier with something else.

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by INDYFIGHTER View Post
          This is my bag. http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=25256
          And this is the platform I purchased. http://www.ringside.com/detail.aspx?ID=25768

I've already watched the Alans demo. WOW! I had no idea so much was possible on a speed bag! REALLY impressive and alot to work at. I would love to get his dvds eventually. I worked out last night which included four rounds on the speedbag. Spent a few minutes trying to hit it coming back and managed it a few times. I think you guys have talked me into getting a ball swivel plastic or metal. I'm useing the chain link swivel and I think I'd be happier with something else.
          I'd highly recommend getting a larger bag, like an 11x8 or so to start out. The smaller bags are difficult because they are so fast and they get frustrating for beginners.

Comment

• INDYFIGHTER
            • Sep 2006

AGREED! Going to get the ball joint and the larger bag in another cople weeks. Do you watch the bag when you're hitting it? It seems to be eaisier if I ignore it and just focus on the wall behind it than if I actually watch the bag.

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

It is much easier if you hit the bag with the same amount of force each time and listen to the sounds rather than trying to watch it. I find I can do almost as well with my eyes closed as I can with them open now.

Comment

• INDYFIGHTER
                • Sep 2006

Awesome! Biggest thing I've noticed so far is my left hand is slower than my right. I've spent alot of time just doing left handed fist rolls.

Comment

• Chris M
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Mar 2006

Even though it's easier and more fun to do more with your dominant hand, make sure you exercise your other hand just as much. When you start doing techniques, it's awfully easy to work more on the side that it's easier because you see results faster. It's more challenging to work both hands equally. Make sure you're doing that.

Comment

• INDYFIGHTER
                    • Sep 2006

I'm right handed. I do pretty good with it but when I switch to the left I'm a little slow getting there so I've been workin my left extra hard. I make sure to mix it up and try to go through everything I can do everytime I'm on the bag.

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

bag questions.

.... Do you watch the bag when you're hitting it? It seems to be eaisier if I ignore it and just focus on the wall behind it than if I actually watch the bag.
                      It is almost impossible to accurately track the moving bag with the eyes, for with any speed all you see is the bag afterimages. I find I just hold my gaze mostly at the bag "center area", (where it would be if it were not moving). Chris is exactly right, that your ears are a better sense for tracking the bag and telling you of a problem. Each swivel type has it's own sound indicating "solid" fist contact or a "mis-hit". When I hear a "mis-hit" My center gaze will check the rebound angle and connection (automatic reaction). the bag will often "bend" or look funny at the swivel connection when you mis-hit, but the sound will alert you to that faster than your eyes. Least it does for me.

... I've noticed so far is my left hand is slower than my right. I've spent alot of time just doing left handed fist rolls.
                      One hand (non-dominant) being "slower" is a normal reaction, but in practice I have found several issues concerning this. First, is positional. Be sure to hold the fist up next to the chin / mouth area. If you drop it, and don't reposition it high before you need to swing, then you will swing from your waist and probably arrive a bit late. This is particularly noticeable during change-overs, from one hand to the other. Most people will automatically compensate for the extra distance by swinging a bit faster. unfortunately, this faster punch will add a little speed to the bag and the next punch will be late. Keep your hands high and swing in small circles.

A second problem with the non-dominant hand is being able to hit and change over with equal force. for a beginner, the force of your punching effects bag speed more than your actually punching speed.

As a beginner, your main focus should be control. Maintain the Hands high position, learn to control your swing movements, and equal force to your punching. You'll be amazed at how much faster your left hand (non-dominant) will get.
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• INDYFIGHTER
                        • Sep 2006

My platform is adjustable and has knobs on it. Standing at an angle I can actually see right through the bag and see the knob behind it so I've been using it as kinda a target to aim at. Man this things addictive! I was going to spend like five minutes working it before I went to bed and it turned into an hour. I started trying to hit it on the back swing again last night. Keeping it slow I was able to keep it up a little. Sure changes the musle groups you work! Thought I was doing pretty good untill I watched Speedbags demo videos. You're amazing dude! You make it look so darn easy. Thanks for this forum and thank you Allen for taking the time to answer questions.

Comment

• Speedbag
                          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

speed bag beginner

INDYFIGHTER

You are right. Hitting "on the backswing" (Reverse Punches, I'm assuming..) really does change the muscles that are worked. Really ups the fun factor also.

Don't let the video's discourage you. It doesn't take my 30+ years of experience to do that. in a few weeks, you can hit from all around the bag with nice smooth and relaxed motions. It is all position and timing.

I enjoy this forum immensly, and as for answering questions, I will always attempt to help someone learn to use and love the speed bag. In many ways, it has made a huge difference in my life, and I believe it can in yours. If you really love the speed bag and the people that hit it - you will understand that.
                          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                          The Quest Continues...
                          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• INDYFIGHTER
                            • Sep 2006

Picked me up a bigger bag and a plastic ball swivel last night. The bag is a medium leather Everlast bag that says it's gryo balanced. My Ringside bag is a medium too but this one's alot bigger. Odd at first but once I got going I found it a little easier to stay consistant with it. The new swivel works great. I really cranked on the eye bolt before installing it in hopes it won't come out. Lost sleep again last night because I couldn't stay away from the thing.

Comment

• Chris M
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Mar 2006

I love bigger bags mostly because I love punching on speedbags and I can do it so much longer on the larger bags. I mostly punch my 8x11 and 10x12 because they are heavier and I get a tremendous amount of satisfaction of really hitting hard on the larger heavier bags without them going out of control. I get a great workout that way.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...