• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ninja420
    • Jan 2007

Ninja420

new video. And suggestions or tips wold be great

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Nice work.

Comment

• clark-kentski
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Mar 2008

Great control

Comment

• toolboxdiver
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2008

Looks Great Ninja, keep up the good work

Comment

• Roc Stone
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2007

Neat...
          sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Kyle
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by ninja420 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JSHZC7Exx8
            Suggestions? DO BETTER!

Naw just kidding man great work and its awesome to watch your progress. I like your style smooth and controlled.
            ________
            HotScorpions cam
            Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:39 AM.

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JSHZC7Exx8
              Very impressive. You are looking very smooth, good transitions, minimal breakdowns. you've come quite a far way in a short time! Great R-ROLL too.

Was that some side split fist I saw around the :35 marK? Pretty neat, that technique never occurred to me.

You've got the downward elbows going pretty good. You could try some inward elbows, you don't seem to use those much. You're transition to the side punching could be a little cleaner (not a harsh criticism - I'm working on that too).

Comment

• ninja420
                • Jan 2007

Thanks for all the kind words guys. And special thanks to Tim I will start my practicing of inward elbows. The side split fist Im shure I saw on a Skunk video once. And the R-roll I am very proud of. I worked pretty diligently to get that into my repitua. One more thing tim do you know of a video where I can see some good inward elbows?

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  Very impressive. You are looking very smooth, good transitions, minimal breakdowns. you've come quite a far way in a short time! Great R-ROLL too.

Was that some side split fist I saw around the :35 marK? Pretty neat, that technique never occurred to me.

You've got the downward elbows going pretty good. You could try some inward elbows, you don't seem to use those much. You're transition to the side punching could be a little cleaner (not a harsh criticism - I'm working on that too).
                  Actually, Tim, you did see a six punch Side to Side split fist combo, but you may have missed the most interesting - and kinda strange transition into the Side punching sequence. Being one to write down speed bag combinations, especially when I'm not sure exactly what happened with the fists or number of rebounds that occured, I like to watch video's in SLOW motion to get a better perspective. This one had me stumped at that sequence, so I downloaded it and watched it back frame by frame. That revealed a few things that I'm not sure Ninja does on purpose, but it displays the adaptability of the Side Single Punch to any number of rebounds. It also shows the increasing development of a very skilled speedbagger, who is ready to make the jump into some pretty advanced combinations.

First off, Ninja does a lot of what I call "rotating the fists", which is changing the fist order of a Front to Reverse Double Punch Sequence. Normally, you do a Front Double Punch (FDP) to Reverse Double Punch (RDP) with an opposite fist order, so the FDP may be L-R, and the RDP would be R-L. that happens if you stick your fists straight out and bring them straight back, which is the easiest way to do it, so it looks like:

L-R ' ' R-L

You can purposely rotate that fist order by making the same fist lead the next double punch, so the L-R fist order remains the same. Do a FDP in L-R contacts, then flip the left fist back to lead the RDP, so the "rotated" order is

L-R ' ' L-R

It can get complicated if you do it a lot, and Ninja does it almost every time, on both sides of the bag. Whether you do this intentionally or accidently, It shows great control of the fists to continually pull it off. And it allows you to do a few combinations others will find impossible to duplicate unless they see the subtle change of fist order, which always changes the fist or elbow sequence afterward.

For the Side Punching sequence, watch closely at 27 sec. and you will see Right fist pass through (Front Circle Punch (FCP) to Reverse Single Punch (RSP) [the RSP connects on frame 00:28:02]) followed by three double punches, FDP ' ' RDP ' ' FDP, all rotated. Using my own abbreviations, here is what it looks like:

RSP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' SSP ' ' SDPx6 sequence.

After the first RSP with the Right Fist, the first FDP would normally be led with that right fist, but Ninja likes to change the order, so he follows that R_RSP with a L-R_ FDP, and keeps that same fist order (rotating) for the 3 double punches. The fist order is:

R ' ' L-R ' ' L-R ' ' L-R ' ' L ' ' R ' ' SDPx6

In the RSP ' ' SSP, (happens at fames 00:29:25 - 00:30:08), it's hard to pick up because both fists pass through to behind the bag after that second FDP. You would think he is going to do another RDP, but this is the slight of hand which, If you watch and listen close, reveals his Right fist, (the second fist in the second FDP above), goes out to the side of the bag (away from the camera) as his left fist returns to lead what you think is a RDP, but it is not, - he does a Reverse Single Punch (RSP) followed by the Right Fist SSP after TWO rebounds. That is how he did this:

FDP ' ' RSP ' ' SSP ' ' SDPx6

This SSP can follow a RSP after an even or Odd number of rebounds, and it only takes a bit of control on the punchers part to decide if you want to use 1,2,3 rebounds.

Now, NINJA, for you to advance your combo a bit, simple let that RSP ' ' SSP sequence happen after one 1 rebound, making this a Reverse-Side Double Punch (R-SDP). It is a very slight difference but makes a great combo. You can see and hear it on this video clip, starting at 13 sec, looking at the camera, just before the camera angles changes. I'm doing 5 or 6 single fist (Right fist, left on screen) pass throughs, and the I do a couple of L-R (R-SDP). Just after that, I cut to a behind the back shot angle.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My only other observation is the very low position of your elbows on the SDP sequence. It may be natural to you this way, but I think you will find it much more functional to keep the elbows up in the same plane you use when Front Fist Rolling. This will allow the fists to pass through to any area on a straight plane of movement, not arching up and down as yours do with the elbows low. The fists will normally seek the level of your elbows. At least mine do.

And I notice you don't use the Inward Elbows either, but I forgive you on that one. They never really excited me that much because you can't link a fist off them. Your downwards are VERY nice. The outwards are tough for those with a big barrel chest so you might want to turn your torso a bit more on the setup to give yourself a better angle.
                  ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

for those that are interested, you can download any Youtube video to an FLV or MP4 here.

Download video's

I hope this made sense. Great Job, Ninja. I'm very happy with your progress.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

One more thing tim do you know of a video where I can see some good inward elbows?
                    Here some inward elbows (and outwards too)

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                      Actually, Tim, you did see a six punch Side to Side split fist combo, but you may have missed the most interesting - and kinda strange transition into the Side punching sequence. Being one to write down speed bag combinations, especially when I'm not sure exactly what happened with the fists or number of rebounds that occured, I like to watch video's in SLOW motion to get a better perspective. This one had me stumped at that sequence, so I downloaded it and watched it back frame by frame.
                      You're right I sure didn't see it... my eyes and ears can't follow along with most full speed videos. Thanks for the tip on the slo-mo , I'll need to do that more in the future.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                        You're right I sure didn't see it... my eyes and ears can't follow along with most full speed videos. Thanks for the tip on the slo-mo , I'll need to do that more in the future.
                        As a prisoner to my own past of watching hundreds of hours of my own clips back in the mid to late-1990's, editing the training video's and then watching many hours of punching to music, When I now view a speed bag bag clip I pretty much know what and how someone does a certain combo(s), and a red flag just goes off in my head if something looks or sounds weird. I'll almost always pick up a "fist rotation", particularly if it happens a lot, (...and a lot of people do it automatically to keep one favored fist in the lead or second position). It is a slight of hand but the sound of the technique remains the same, so you won't hear the difference, and if you don't know what you're looking for, you will never pick it up.

I can usually download a clip, drop it into Sony Vegas and watch it in frame by frame advance.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ninja420
                          • Jan 2007

Wow Speedbag thanks for all your interest in my video and the great write up. And the funny part is I knew what you were talking about And I will work on all those things you talked about. Tim great video thanks. Tim when are you going to do a all out speedbag video with all your moves tide in together? mabey with some music I would pay the price of admition to see that video. And one more thing while Im typing... where is Kevdawg and billymack? I miss those guys.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Wow Speedbag thanks for all your interest in my video and the great write up. And the funny part is I knew what you were talking about And I will work on all those things you talked about. Tim great video thanks. Tim when are you going to do a all out speedbag video with all your moves tide in together? mabey with some music I would pay the price of admition to see that video. And one more thing while Im typing... where is Kevdawg and billymack? I miss those guys.
                            I suspect that KevDawg, Billymack and Hispanicmakingpanic are being subjected to the quirks of life that often take one away from the speed bag for a while, or from internet forums that dwell on it (or other personal choices). Perhaps their interests have been drawn to other new areas that demand their time and attention. If they are away from their bags, then at least they can rest well knowing that their previously learned skills will still be there when they return.

I too miss their insights and punching skills. Both are very talented speedbaggers.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Tim when are you going to do a all out speedbag video with all your moves tide in together? mabey with some music I would pay the price of admition to see that video.
                              I tend to prefer shorter clips because I think it's easier for beginners to follow along, rewind, etc. It's also more convenient for others who are providing feedback (Alan, skunk, etc.) , you will get better feedback if you post short , specific clips, generally.

The other reason I don't put it all together into one great performance is that I'm really not that good... i can't transition between all that stuff smoothly and the clip would be more akin to a demo of bag breakdowns I'm generally lucky if I can punch for more than 30 seconds without a breakdown... which probably means I'm focused on speed too much!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...