• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Where are we from?

Couple of weeks ago I was in Pheonix Arizona for a work related conference, and stopped by Irongloves boxing gym in Tempe Az. to visit and hit a little. Great location to train if you're in that area.

Next week, I'll be in Grand Rapids, Michigan to visit family and I'll be doing a speed bag seminar (wed. June 28th 2006) at The Shorinryu Karate School which is close to my brothers restaurant. The head sensei is a close family friend. If you're around SE lower Michigan during that time, you might want to come by.

Most of my "Seminars", which are usually informal gatherings around a board, are done in places that I'm traveling to for one reason or another - and I know either a gym owner, coach or friend with a speed bag set up in their home. Normally, I'll also alert any speed baggers I know who live in or around that area. Even if there is no board or bag around, I like to meet those that may want to. So it might not hurt to post the town or general area where you live. There may be a few forum members or speed bag buddies pretty close around.

So, I live in Central Texas on the edge of a town called Waco, located about halfway between Dallas and Austin.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 06-24-2006, 10:10 AM. Reason: link problem
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • Rosemont
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2006

O'Hare Airport

I live right outside O'Hare in a tiny town called Rosemont, hence the Nickname. If you are ever doing a seminar out this way Alan, please drop me a line. I would love to be included.

Comment

• Mike
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jun 2006

I live in a suburb of Tampa, Florida. I'd love to see you do a seminar. Do you have a set schedule that you could post?

S/F, Mike

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Orlando, FL - Altamonte Springs specifically

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

speed bag locations

Hey Mike,

I don't have a regular schedule of appearances or seminars. I just try and get with some speed baggers wherever I go. Due to my "day job" with the local VA medical center, I don't really travel much.

But living in Tampa, you might want to go down to the Evalyn Sadler Jones YMCA in Sarasota Fl and see a good friend of mine and big speed bag fan, Ernest Oriente, Sr. He is a great guy and knows a lot of speed bag people in that area. I do plan on getting back down there to visit with him and his family. Just not sure when.

There is a Karate school that was supposed to do some kind of interdisciplinary training workshops in the Sarasota area, but I guess that died. I often hear such plans when I'm in an area hitting or meet folks at a boxing venue or fitness trade show. Unfortunately, very few ever follow through with their end of the planning. Personally, after being told I'm going to "Australia" and "China" and "Germany", "Sweden", and most states here in the U.S., I quit believing people or companies when they say they are "gonna bring me in..." For many years, I really believed them and even planned vacation time to make the trips. Never happened. My list of "gonna go" destinations is huge. Now, Until the airline tickets arrive, it's only lip service. Right now I've got three "developing" seminar plans. When the tickets arrive, I'll post them. Don't wait up.

If all goes well, I will be in Orlando florida for a week or so in either late may or early june 2007 for a conference (work related). not sure of any locations to visit in that area, but surely there is some place close by.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2006

I live in Bloomington, IL which is right in the center of the state halfway between St. Louis and Chicago.

I'd gladly drive to either one, or even Indianapolis which is about two hours to the east to attend one of your seminars Alan!

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag
              If all goes well, I will be in Orlando florida for a week or so in either late may or early june 2007 for a conference (work related). not sure of any locations to visit in that area, but surely there is some place close by.
              I'll look into it and get back to you around Janurary. We can definitely arrange for some sort of get together.
              Last edited by Tim; 06-25-2006, 08:53 AM.

Comment

• Chris M
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Tim
                I'll look into it and get back to you around Janurary. We can definitely arrange for some sort of get together.
                Please let us all know. I have lots of family and friends in Central Florida because I grew up and lived there over 35 years. Subsequently, I go there quite frequently.

Chris

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Orlando

Originally posted by Tim
                  OK, I'll let you know if I'm coming May 21-24, 2007. Here is the conference I'm talking about: USPRA.org

I normally attend every year. I've been to (and found speed bag "friends" or gyms) Atlanta, San Diego, Pittsburg, Pheonix and next year Orlando. It is normally a M-F conference, so I could theoretically be there the weekend before and/or the weekend after. I've done it both ways. Most of my contacts in various areas are either through individual sales of SBB or online forums. As long as I can work a little Speed bag time into the day and evening conference meeting schedules, I try to work it out with the locals.

Of course, VA has to approve my travel, but I've been lucky so far on that.

A "reunion" in Florida would be great. Find a place with a board or two.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Mike
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jun 2006

Alan,
                    Thanks for the info on Ernest Oriente. I will get down there to see him.

I am also up for a Florida get-together in May 2007. Maybe it can be at the gym Ernest teaches at? Wherever it is, count me in!

Semper Fi, Mike

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Speed Bag Florida

Ernest teaches at the Evalyn Sadlier YMCA in Sarasota Florida (near Tampa), which I believe is across the state from Orlando. I doubt that would be a place close to an Orlando based meeting.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag
                        Ernest teaches at the Evalyn Sadlier YMCA in Sarasota Florida (near Tampa), which I believe is across the state from Orlando. I doubt that would be a place close to an Orlando based meeting.
                        Orlando is about 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive from Sarasota.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris M
                          Orlando is about 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive from Sarasota.
                          Yep, It's a pretty long haul. I'll find a place in Orlando. I don't have any connections at the moment but I'll go pound the pavement and find a boxing or martial arts gym where we can meet.

Comment

• nowheredesign
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Jun 2006

Pa

I grew up in Philly, but now I live north of the city near Allentown, PA.

I don't suppose you ever get out this way.. Too bad, it would be nice to meet you in person, Speedbag.

Ever hear of Harrogate or Cambria gyms? I know that Joe Frasier's Gym is pretty popular, but these places are (were) great!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...