• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
    Cool. I'm going to send this link to my son. It might be of interest to him. So, did you design these, zaza?
    Yes... I design & build them... it's a little side business. I've sold them all over the world (you have to love the internet!) including some very famous directors....one even went to Pixar Animation Studios!

FYI... Delrin is VERY tough stuff and can easily be CNC'd to any shape.
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Aug 2010

Dedicated Bagger

Couldn't help myself.

I wanted to make a video to show how well my new homemade swivel works on my outdoor steel platform. But it was 35° and with a forecast of snow. I was also having a "bad hair" day and so I made good use of my Hoody. :-)

For the past month or two "Trainer Raul" and I have been working together to make a custom swivel. And, I think we have a winner. I found a 1" brass ball online and Raul put an I-bolt on it. I got a small carabiner to attach to the I-bolt. Then we constructed the swivel housing out of some durable plastic material we found. (It sure helps to have access to a garage full of tools.)

I decided to post this on You Tube, even though my Big Fat Hoody Head was in the way most of the time. But, there are some choice segments and there's a pretty good view of the swivel in action.

Novaspeedbagger recommended this Santana song to me a while back. It's a great song to punch to. I'm punching on two very different bags in this video. An FS bag for the first half, and then I switched it out for an Aussie speed ball by Jim Bradley. It's a bigger bag, with a longer loop, so I had to scramble to get up to speed with the tempo.

Anyway here it is, for what it's worth…

Yes...
      I am a
      BAGAHOLIC.

Hope you like that song Denise! I've been hitting to it quite often lately. The swivel seems to perform flawlessly and the sound is very easy on the ears. Your style of punch drumming is continuing to influence my strike variety. Lately I've been adapting your I-DES (i.e. fist- elbow) by double bumping the inward fist strike and continuing through with the elbow stike followed by an O-DES and whatever else seems to be a natural flowing combination from there. Haven't quite masted this but it's a lot of fun working on it. So, thanks for your unique style of punching that continues to challenge me to expanding the variations available! I thought the vid was really good and the fact that you gutted it out in the snow is quite impressive :-)

Keep on Bagging and swivel making!
      Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
        Hope you like that song Denise! I've been hitting to it quite often lately. The swivel seems to perform flawlessly and the sound is very easy on the ears. Your style of punch drumming is continuing to influence my strike variety. Lately I've been adapting your I-DES (i.e. fist- elbow) by double bumping the inward fist strike and continuing through with the elbow strike followed by an O-DES and whatever else seems to be a natural flowing combination from there. Haven't quite masted this but it's a lot of fun working on it. So, thanks for your unique style of punching that continues to challenge me to expanding the variations available! I thought the vid was really good and the fact that you gutted it out in the snow is quite impressive :-)

Nova, I'm pretty sure that combination is illegal. How many rebounds between the Inward Elbow contact and Outward Double.

Naturally it would occur with three, but if you're using one that might be blasphemous.

Last edited by Speedbag; 01-24-2012, 01:44 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by spdyTommyT View Post
          Cant wait to see what Raul has done up close. I always enjoy your videos but what i like most about this one is your intensity. Smokin that bag!
          Thanks, Tommy. I started out on the little white bag, but as I got into the song, I felt I needed a bigger bag. I feel like this kind of music warrants it. But, I soon realized after switching to that big Aussie bag, that I had to throw my body into it a little more.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          This just keeps getting better and better. Where do you get the brass balls and eyelet shank and neopreme base plate in that shape.

Great looking swivel.
          Thanks, Alan! We talked about the different choices of balls and decided that a brass ball is very smooth when finished and polished, so we found one on ebay. A little pricey, but we felt it was worth it. Raul came up with the neoprene design. Cut it out of neoprene.

I forgot to mention earlier that the punch drumming video I posted just before this Santana one has the very first prototype of the swivel. It's painted black, to see how it would look.

This video is actually clearer than the Santana one. You might be able to see the swivel action a little better. This is in HD. I've noticed that my camera's audio is not that great. The fact that I am punching in a HUGE (echoing) workshop doesn't help with the acoustics OR the ambiance.

Originally posted by speedbag4life View Post
          Wow, how long have I been gone?? Who is this lady in the hoodie? Ms. D, you're commanding that bag like never before. Great job!
          LISA! Hey, girl! You've been gone TOO LONG! It's good to hear from you. I've had the it bad for a few months.
          Been on a B a G G i n' J A G for the past few months. Lots of new members have been inspiring me.

Originally posted by ventanakaz
          ...nice swivel Ms Dee is that metal inserts in the mounting holes of the swivel base. BTW you rock the bag like always. (you go girl)...ralph
          Thanks, Ralph! And, yes, they're 3/8" inserts.

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
          Yes... I design & build them... it's a little side business. I've sold them all over the world (you have to love the internet!) including some very famous directors....one even went to Pixar Animation Studios!

FYI... Delrin is VERY tough stuff and can easily be CNC'd to any shape.
          Very cool! I'll have to read up on the Delrin. And, I'm afraid I'll have to look up what CNC means.

Hope you like that song Denise! I've been hitting to it quite often lately. The swivel seems to perform flawlessly and the sound is very easy on the ears. Your style of punch drumming is continuing to influence my strike variety. Lately I've been adapting your I-DES (i.e. fist- elbow) by double bumping the inward fist strike and continuing through with the elbow stike followed by an O-DES and whatever else seems to be a natural flowing combination from there. Haven't quite masted this but it's a lot of fun working on it. So, thanks for your unique style of punching that continues to challenge me to expanding the variations available! I thought the vid was really good and the fact that you gutted it out in the snow is quite impressive :-) Keep on Bagging and swivel making!
          Thanks, Kerry! There's nothing finer than a good long hit of Santana… Great song. I'm glad that you like my punching style. Likewise, friend. I'm still doing a little fine tuning on the swivels.
          Last edited by MsDeville; 01-25-2012, 12:22 AM. Reason: grammar
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Here's a different angle of the swivel.

Attached Files
            sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
            I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

Computer Numerical Control (CNC) is one in which the functions and motions of a machine tool are controlled by means of a prepared program containing coded alphanumeric data.

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• ebozyn
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Oct 2010

Here's a different angle of the swivel.

That's an interesting Swivel D.
                Raul did a fine job there.

I have one question about the performance of your Area 51 Swivel. Just because it's how i test my swivels, and it gives me an idea of how much friction & resistance there is between the ball, and the housing.

One thing that is very important to me with a ball hook swivel is spin sustain. That is, i hang a bag on the swivel, grab the bag, and give it a nice spin, and i count how many seconds the bag remains spinning. About how many seconds will that swiv remain spinning? I was just wondering how the Area 51 does with the spin test

This may not mean a lot to most baggers when choosing a swivel, but bag spins are an important part of my bagging, and it's important to me that my swivels don't mess with my spins. The two plastic base swivels i have don't spin very long. Metal on Metal, spins like crazy, less friction i guess. I have one plastic base, with metal ball swiv, and that doesn't spin for very long either.

Thanks for the pics of your A51 swiv D.
                Last edited by ebozyn; 01-25-2012, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Aug 2010

Copping a Plea / Indie film idea for Zaza

Hope you like that song Denise! I've been hitting to it quite often lately. The swivel seems to perform flawlessly and the sound is very easy on the ears. Your style of punch drumming is continuing to influence my strike variety. Lately I've been adapting your I-DES (i.e. fist- elbow) by double bumping the inward fist strike and continuing through with the elbow stike followed by an O-DES and whatever else seems to be a natural flowing combination from there. Haven't quite masted this but it's a lot of fun working on it. So, thanks for your unique style of punching that continues to challenge me to expanding the variations available! I thought the vid was really good and the fact that you gutted it out in the snow is quite impressive :-)

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  Nova, I'm pretty sure that combination is illegal. How many rebounds between the Inward Elbow contact and Outward Double.

Naturally it would occur with three, but if you're using one that might be blasphemous.

Ha Ha Alan! Never intended to offend, but if this is an original or a way to make a previous combination internationally popular maybe it could be titled, "The Blast-FA-MOUS" (i.e. being Fun and Famous) if it goes viral in the underground world of speed bagging, that is. Fat chance of that

Anyway I hope you don't Kahn-vict me for violating the "Natural Law" of 3 rebounds, cuz I am going (attempting to go) from a double bumped-FSP-IES to O-DES with only 1 rebound occuring inbetween.

I'll cop a plea if it'll help. Just don't make me wear an orange jump suit in my next punch drumming vid with SBCCF stenslled on the back(Speed Bag Central Correctional Facility) to AC/DC's Hell's Bells.

I don't know......maybe ZaZa can do an indie short film of this comical blunder in the under-ground realm of speed bagging where my sentence is, "Blindfolded speed bagging for life with no parole" and I anguish over the fact, that because of my hopeless addiction to Bible style bagging, I have no chance of ever being an Ex-Kahn again. HaHaHaaaaaaaa!
                  Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

.......Anyway I hope you don't Kahn-vict me for violating the "Natural Law" of 3 rebounds, cuz I am going (attempting to go) from a double bumped-FSP-IES to O-DES with only 1 rebound occuring inbetween.
                    Yep and actually there are a couple of ways to do that combo.

First, you could double double the FSP lead fist, make the Inward Elbow hit, than bring the the same fist back immediately after one rebound. In this example, the elbow only hits once, moving inward, then the same fist snaps back into the back. I see this more of a I-DES ' FCP because the bag is hit 3 times.

Second, you could double bump the lead FSP lead fist, then double bump the Elbow, hitting it once inward, then return with an Outward-Double Elbow Strike after one rebound. In this one, the inward elbow must continue just a bit after contact to clear and set up for the outward ES angle. In this combo the bag is hit x4 times, and looks like: I-DES ' O-DES.

Of course, you could also double bump all the parts, which I believe Tim amazingly well.

I do both the first and second when fooling around, but I haven't moved to using them in Punch Drumming. I do make that same accent pattern (of the second) by doing FDP ' FDP. that is the sound pattern of the second combo above.

ain't nothing for a bagger like Nova
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Good Question

Originally posted by Zaza View Post

Computer Numerical Control (CNC) is one in which the functions and motions of a machine tool are controlled by means of a prepared program containing coded alphanumeric data.
                      Oh. Yeah. That's what I thought it meant.

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
                      That's an interesting Swivel D.
                      Raul did a fine job there.

I have one question about the performance of your Area 51 Swivel. Just because it's how i test my swivels, and it gives me an idea of how much friction & resistance there is between the ball, and the housing.

One thing that is very important to me with a ball hook swivel is spin sustain. That is, i hang a bag on the swivel, grab the bag, and give it a nice spin, and i count how many seconds the bag remains spinning. About how many seconds will that swiv remain spinning? I was just wondering how the Area 51 does with the spin test

This may not mean a lot to most baggers when choosing a swivel, but bag spins are an important part of my bagging, and it's important to me that my swivels don't mess with my spins. The two plastic base swivels i have don't spin very long. Metal on Metal, spins like crazy, less friction i guess. I have one plastic base, with metal ball swiv, and that doesn't spin for very long either.

Thanks for the pics of your A51 swiv D.
                      Good question, ebo, regarding the spin time. We are still in the early stages of this design. Three weeks ago, we were headed in a totally different direction with how to fabricate this, and then had the brainstorm with the neoprene material. So, in actuality, I have only been punching on this swivel for a couple of weeks. But, so far, I love it. I have one with an S-hook, and the rest are made to use a carabiner or a zip-tie. Or, even a shoe lace!

PLUS, this swivel isn't "broken in" yet. If my assumptions about the reaction of a brass ball rolling against slick neoprene at a fast, repetitive, and good length of time, my thought is that the ball will eventually create a slick surface on the neoprene as it swings in the neoprene groove during punching. And this should create a super-slick surface and reduce/eliminate resistance/friction. Anyway, I think it will...

I did a quick video last night to demonstrate the spin speed and spin time. I'm not very good at spinning, so please keep this in mind when watching. It was also cold out in the garage, if that has any bearing on performance.

I hope this helps, ebo.

Last edited by MsDeville; 01-26-2012, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• ebozyn
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Oct 2010

Oh. Yeah. That's what I thought it meant.

Good question, ebo, regarding the spin time. We are still in the early stages of this design. Three weeks ago, we were headed in a totally different direction with how to fabricate this, and then had the brainstorm with the neoprene material. So, in actuality, I have only been punching on this swivel for a couple of weeks. But, so far, I love it. I have one with an S-hook, and the rest are made to use a carabiner or a zip-tie. Or, even a shoe lace!

PLUS, this swivel isn't "broken in" yet. If my assumptions about the reaction of a brass ball rolling against slick neoprene at a fast, repetitive, and good length of time, my thought is that the ball will eventually create a slick surface on the neoprene as it swings in the neoprene groove during punching. And this should create a super-slick surface and reduce/eliminate resistance/friction. Anyway, I think it will...

I did a quick video last night to demonstrate the spin speed and spin time. I'm not very good at spinning, so please keep this in mind when watching. It was also cold out in the garage, if that has any bearing on performance.

I hope this helps, ebo.

Thanks MsD!

I do that spin test thing a lot to check to see if my swivel needs lube , so your video gives me a very good idea of how that swivel would react to a touch spin.

That's a cool swivel

Thanks again for the demo vid.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Thanks MsD!

I do that spin test thing a lot to check to see if my swivel needs lube , so your video gives me a very good idea of how that swivel would react to a touch spin.

That's a cool swivel

I forgot to mention that the last time the ball and socket were lubricated was at least a week prior to this little demo. It doesn't take much — a little dab will do you. Vaseline / petroleum jelly is the ONLY recommended lubrication for this swivel.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks MsD!

That's a cool swivel

I think that "wobble" or helicoptering effect is because of the caribener attachment unbalancing the ball.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

More Swivel Testing . . .

Here is a video of "Trainer Raul" trying out the "Area 51" swivel on the vertical board. He's punching on a large Cleto bag. It's his favorite bag to workout on. The swivel is really smooth on the vertical board and works a lot better than the Everlast nylon ball swivel he was using. BTW... I got exhausted just watching Raul punch!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Here is a video of "Trainer Raul" trying out the "Area 51" swivel on the vertical board. He's punching on a large Cleto bag. It's his favorite bag to workout on. The swivel is really smooth on the vertical board and works a lot better than the Everlast nylon ball swivel he was using. BTW... I got exhausted just watching Raul punch!

Awesome looking set up and super swivel. Good job by Raul also. Pretty smooth baggin' there...
                                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...