X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

Beach Baggin'

A buddy who used to live out here in Cali told me about this old school speed bag setup at Venice Beach. I headed down there this evening to check it out. What a sweet setup, with 6 stations, all set to different heights. Most of the swivels are rusted out or missing, and you have to bring your own bag. I managed to use the laces of my Title 8x5 to secure it to a broken swivel, check the pics.

My girl went with me and took a bunch of video, so I put a clip together. By the end of my session I had a bunch of people gathered round so I did a little workshop, it was a ton of fun.

What a great place to hit the bag, you gotta bring your own bag and swivel, or rig up one of the ol' rusty relics...big ups to Johnny B for pointing me in th...
  • Kevdawg0324
    • Oct 2006

looks like you had a couple of fans out there! its always nice to show off your skills in front of people. looking good.

Comment

• jaguiler
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jan 2007

wow Billy! that place is awesome ! looks like you guys have an outdoor gym out there... I saw a high bar and low bar....etc... cool !!

if you hang out there and hit - the I can easily see the popularity of speedbagin' will go up -you may start a trend on Venice beach !!

I didn't realize you are in Cali - very nice !

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

It's been about three and a half years since I've been up to Venice Beach. The platforms, and assorted bars and rings are located on the ocean side of the weight pen at Muscle Beach. It was a really neat idea that the Venice town council came up with to do this, even more so to convince the LA county parks dept to put them in. However as Billy Mack has found out their maintenance is not high on the Parks Depts list. The platforms themselves are rock solid, big enough to handle old school large bags, and configured that you can work around them. The issue of the swivels is the only downside. That, and somtimes having a very large audience to witness your mistakes.

Comment

• BillyMack
          • Sep 2006

Thanks, guys. Yes, there are several gyms like this in Venice and Santa Monica where I live. Bars, rings, rope climb, not to mention "Muscle Beach" where our fearless governer (Arnold) packed on the pecs. They even have huge swingsets for adults.

I'm really interested in seeing what I can do to bring back some of the popularity. There were some high school ROTC guys down there doing some PT, and they all wanted to know how to hit, so I spent about an hour letting each one take a whack.

Dutchman, where do you live, and when are you gonna make it back up this way?

I really want to see if I can get someone with the Parks Dept. to do a little maintainance. I'd even buy the swivels. If anyone has any good ideas on taking something like this to the authorities, let me know. Thanks for the feedback...

Comment

• Kyle
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2006

wow looks amazing i might have to make a trip from canada to check it out. never been to venice beach.
            ________
            buttsex Webcam
            Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:18 AM.

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

Venice Beach is an experience that is hard to describe, especially in the summer. Between the street performers, the Muscle Beach outdoor gym, and just the public themselves it's like a several block long sideshow.

Comment

• jaguiler
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jan 2007

try changing the swivel yourself - with a plastic one - that won;t rust.... do it at night

Comment

• BillyMack
                  • Sep 2006

If I could I would but even the nuts/bolts for the swivels are rusted shut; it would take some power tools to get them off...anyone got a plasma torch they can loan me?

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I heard about these beach units a long time ago. Venice beach is really cool to offer them. Wish all the great beaches had them, but I fear most would be torn up or swivels stolen.

I would be great to get four or five really baggers down there to put on a show, rotating from bag to bag, punching. Looks like you might want to take a small step to raise yourself up.

And that would be cute, to take a small portable exercise stepper with you and do a step & punch demo.

Great video post. original.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ninja420
                      • Jan 2007

I like it cool idea and video!

Comment

• Tim
                        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
                        By the end of my session I had a bunch of people gathered round so I did a little workshop, it was a ton of fun.
                        Nice. Sharing what you know makes it all that much more fun.

Comment

• speedboy
                          • Feb 2006

what a nice place to do speedbag!! great skill!

Comment

• Speedbag
                            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Beach Bag

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
                            Thanks, guys. Yes, there are several gyms like this in Venice and Santa Monica where I live. Bars, rings, rope climb, not to mention "Muscle Beach" where our fearless governer (Arnold) packed on the pecs....
                            Believe it or not, years ago, (1997 or 98 I forget) I made one of many (useless..) promo's about how the venice speed bag units could be featured in an entertaining TV commercial. Here's the scene.

Some huge Bodybuilder was posing on the beach, and a bunch of young women were gathered around, eyeing him.
                            the camera zooms out and catches the bag stands in the background. Some guy (hmmm ) in business suit comes up, takes off his sport coat and starts ripping the speed bag. The girls hear the sound, look amazed and run off to the bag stand where they gather around and watch.
                            camera has about a 6 second close up of the bag punching, then pans out a bit to see more woman running to the bag, amazement in their eyes. Their all reaching for the bag puncher, touching him. He stops and looks at one of the women who says "What an awesome shirt. what's this made of...?" All the other girls nod "yea, nice shirt.."

the bag puncher is looking quizically at the bag and the women....

and the announcer says. "Arrow dress shirts. 100% cotton". they look great even at the beach..."

Too bad the shirt companies I sent the video pitch to didn't respond. I think it would have given the bud frogs and horses a run for their money as the top superbowl spot.

the story is true, the dream was true (still is....)

I guess it's the thought that counts...
                            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                            The Quest Continues...
                            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chawncy
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Dec 2006

Sounds like a cool commercial Speedbag. BTW, did the guy in the Arrow shirt happen to have a 'stach and big guns?

J/k

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...