• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nowheredesign
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2006

Here's My First Video

Mind you, because I am at the beginning of my journey to recapture the phisique and coordination from days long past, I'm not exactly a pro!

It is really hard to do a reverse fist roll because my S hook is too big for my bag.

Any critiques would be greatly appreciated. (The vid is small. I'll post a larger one soon.)

Thx!

• Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Good stuff, looks like you've got most of the techniques down. What brand of swivel is that? Is that the everlast pro bag ?

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

First speed bag video

Originally posted by nowheredesign
      ...Any critiques would be greatly appreciated. (The vid is small. I'll post a larger one soon.)

Thx!

http://designfromnowhere.com/howjunk/MOV00340.MPG
      Actually, for a beginner - you are doing quite a variety of techniques and combinations. I saw the 4 front punches, three reverse punches and the outward elbow strikes, along with some pretty decent split fist combo's and the Side Double Punch (SDP). It is a little difficult to critique your body position or swing motions since the video frame was "cropped" in on the bag and I couldn't see your body too much. But your arm positions (elbows to fist angle) looked pretty straight and your upper arm, what I can see of it, was also alright. Your single and double fist pass throughs were not bad at all for a beginner.

I would suggest continue working these basics, and try and make them a little smoother. I happen to agree you are struggling with that swivel a bit. Sounds a little dead, but then again you are not really hitting hard, either. You might find your split fist a little easier if you change your front fist slightly from the Front Circle Punch (FCP) side contact to more of a Front straight punch position. Check out videoclip #4 on the "speed bag combinations" picture.

Try working your fist rolls in pairs. Go from Front Fist Roll to Reverse fist Rolling. Do each one for five or six hits, then out to the other. Short fist rolls are easier to pull off and will let you succeed more than just trying to keep a longer roll going. see videoclips #8 and #9 at the above link.

Good job. keep it going.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Mkvtte92
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • May 2006

Looking good!!!!!!

Mike

Comment

• nowheredesign
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jun 2006

Whew!

Originally posted by Tim
          Good stuff, looks like you've got most of the techniques down. What brand of swivel is that? Is that the everlast pro bag ?
          Thanks..
          Yes, Tim, that's the Everlast Pro bag. I really like it. The swivel came with the platform, which is a Gold's Gym cheapie that I bought at Sears of all places.

Originally posted by Speedbag
          I happen to agree you are struggling with that swivel a bit. Sounds a little dead, but then again you are not really hitting hard, either.
          Yea, it's really hard to keep a solid strike going because the swivel S hook is so big. I'm gonna' take a picture of the swivel and post it.

Al-in-all, I am glad to hear that I don't entirely stink at it thus far! I was kind of scared to post a video of me schlubbing up something that people are so well adept at. I truly love practicing though!

I'll check out those clips you had recommended today.

Thx!

Originally posted by Mkvtte92
          Thanks for all of the extra exclamation points!
          Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I am in the middle of a nightmare project that will never seem to end!

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

speed bag video.

Originally posted by nowheredesign
            ...Al-in-all, I am glad to hear that I don't entirely stink at it thus far! I was kind of scared to post a video of me schlubbing up something that people are so well adept at. I truly love practicing though!
            There is no shame in being a beginner. We were ALL beginners once, struggling to keep up with the bag, wondering why it was so !!@@$$%^ hard. Then you feel it, and it starts to work. Your skills are above average, actually. You move slowly from combo to combo, but that's alright. Slow builds control and movement correction, then speed comes over time. Hopefully, we are all here to learn and help each other. No dissing allowed.

Keep working and I look forward to more of your video's.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• speedboy
              • Feb 2006

great video good techniques but the video quality is a little bit poor

Comment

• Tim
                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by speedboy
                great video good techniques but the video quality is a little bit poor
                It looks like maybe it was done with a digital still camera in movie mode vs. a dedicated camcorder. I tried using my Sony digital still cam in movie mode but the frame rate was too low... It made it look like the bag was moving in slow motion but the sound was fine...

Comment

• nowheredesign
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Tim
                  It looks like maybe it was done with a digital still camera in movie mode vs. a dedicated camcorder. I tried using my Sony digital still cam in movie mode but the frame rate was too low... It made it look like the bag was moving in slow motion but the sound was fine...

Bingo!

I don't have a camcorder.

I'm gonna' borrow one from my brother soon..

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...