• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nowheredesign
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2006

Swivel S Hook Question

I noticed that in the video section, the smaller bags have really small S hooks to hold the bag to the swivel.

Can I buy one somewhere? I have a 6x9 bag and the S hook is HUGE, which causes a lot of extra lag time between rebounds.

Shall I just go to a hardware store and buy one?

Thx!
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

You certainly can put on a smaller hook, but if you're asking about getting the metal ball & hook swivel, see the other discussions here on the board. They're getting very hard to come by. Ebay is the best bet right now, but beware, make sure you write to the seller and confirm that they are selling what they picture in their ads.

Good luck!

Chris

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Which model of swivel are you using ? The S hook I have is more or less permanently attached to the eye hook in the swivel - I'm using the Everlast 4400 ball hook - I don't think it could easily be replaced. Might be better to just go to a 8x5 or 6x4 bag, maybe. I guess you could replace the eye hook as well, but I haven't tried it to say for sure.
      Last edited by Tim; 06-10-2006, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• nowheredesign
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2006

The Swivel..

I am using the metal swivel that came with my platform. Thanks for telling me that they are hard to replace, Chris. I'll be sure to take good care of the one I have.

The S hook that Tim shows in the picture would be perfect. However, it does look like a project getting the old one out of the I hook.

I'm gonna' look for the 4400. Maybe I'll get lucky! Are the fittings (bolts) universal for platforms?

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by nowheredesign
          I'm gonna' look for the 4400. Maybe I'll get lucky! Are the fittings (bolts) universal for platforms?
          No, they're not There's little to no interchangeability amongst swivel brands- you'll have to drill a new set of holes, most likely.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Speed bag swivel S hook

Originally posted by nowheredesign
            I am using the metal swivel that came with my platform. Thanks for telling me that they are hard to replace, Chris. I'll be sure to take good care of the one I have.

The S hook that Tim shows in the picture would be perfect. However, it does look like a project getting the old one out of the I hook.

Thanks for the advice.
            If you are just looking for "replacement parts" for a regular "S" hook shank or hook, you could get the new plastic version for $10.00 bucks. But I don't know how you will get the "S" part off the circular eye-hole in the shank.

It might be possible to rip off the entire metal "shank and hook", pull it out of the plastic and stick it in a metal ball if you have one.

I recommend you avoid this S-Hook model. Too long and slow. My experience with these also finds the metal is "soft" and in a few weeks the housing where the shank connects will flatten. Soon after that, the ball will fall out.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• nowheredesign
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag
              I recommend you avoid this S-Hook model. Too long and slow.
              Yea, that is the big problem I have with it. While my hands are swiftly demanding more speed out of the bag, The length of the S hook really works against the growth of my skill.

It was a good "starter," but now I think I am ready for an entirely new platform, board, and swivel.

Too bad business has been slow this year! Maybe, I'll pick up that "big project" soon.

Originally posted by Tim
              No, they're not There's little to no interchangeability amongst swivel brands- you'll have to drill a new set of holes, most likely.
              I didn't think so. I wish that companies wouldn't use that as a way to make money.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...