• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

"I Get A Kick" (out of the Speed Bag!)

Thought it was time for something new...and needed to get back to it after the holiday. It's getting cold out in the garage, but I just love hitting on that platform.

Rip away folks....I ALMOST made it through the entire song (this was the 4th take, had to move on after that).

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I've watched and listened to this several times, and I gotta tell you, there IS a serious punchdrummer inside you.

You are ripping out some really cool rhythmic bag beats to this song. I'd say your "on beat" at least 3/4 of the time and laying down some nice 2-3 measure syncopation. I really like the groove from about 1:13 to 1:25. oh yeah. and that shadow combo during the piano solo at about 1:44 - 146. dead on. I also like the way your adding in the continuous Reverse Single Punching (RSP) in the triple beat behind the bag. I don't see that much in other punch drumming video's but it's a killer groove when done right.

I do believe you are feeling it, working off the single fist pass thru Front Circle Punch to Reverse Single Punch ( FCP ' ' RSP ' ' FCP...) as the home rhythm. ( you could use the triplet rhythm a bit slower, or in double time, since it is a slower song..)

Cool Song, with that sassy jazz swing. When I get both shoulders back I'm gonna have to take a swipe at this one also.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 11-27-2012, 12:43 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

Thanks Alan! It's a work in progress.....

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
        Thanks Alan! It's a work in progress.....
        You can punch to a song 100 times and do it different 100 times - and each one is creatively liberating.

Catch the beat.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• PunchDrummer
          • Jan 2012

I liked that alot! Cool song too - good lead-in to the holidays.

Comment

• G-Town
            Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Zaza...Time!

Real nice bagging Za. You sure did wear off that Holiday' stuffing. 4 minutes..
            Enjoyed!!!

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by PunchDrummer View Post
              I liked that alot! Cool song too - good lead-in to the holidays.
              Originally posted by G-Town View Post
              Real nice bagging Za. You sure did wear off that Holiday' stuffing. 4 minutes..
              Enjoyed!!!
              Thanks for the support gents!

Comment

• deano
                Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

good stuff Joe,great mix of combos at a good pace,my arms felt heavy just watching,yes so close to faultless,thats the way the the speedball bounces,plenty of difficult shadow elbow combos done time after time in that routine and then something not as complex lets you down ,take it easy ZaZa ,deano

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  I've watched and listened to this several times, and I gotta tell you, there IS a serious punchdrummer inside you.

You are ripping out some really cool rhythmic bag beats to this song. I'd say your "on beat" at least 3/4 of the time and laying down some nice 2-3 measure syncopation. I really like the groove from about 1:13 to 1:25. oh yeah. and that shadow combo during the piano solo at about 1:44 - 146. dead on. I also like the way your adding in the continuous Reverse Single Punching (RSP) in the triple beat behind the bag.
                  DITTO THAT! Zaza, you're definitely in the groove in this song. Loved it! And it never ceases to amaze me how someone can punch like that in a baggy sweatshirt!

Classy song and top-notch bagging, Joe!
                  sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                  I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Zaza
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2011

Thanx Dee! YOU are the inspiration for me keep the car out of the garage so I can keep hitting on my fav platform....but damn, it sure gets COLD out there! (thus the sweatshirt & the hoodie over that)

All those layers sure do make elbows a extra challenge...

Comment

• Biff
                      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Zaza, great job. You were in the zone. And, what a platform!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...