• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • novaspeedbagger
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2010

Finally bypassed the Youtube police

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
    That link worked like a charm nova. It's a killer video too.

I like songs around this tempo to punch to, a person feels like they have room to get creative at this tempo,(Nice slow jams n grooves). It also feels like you can add something good to the rhythm section of the tune without killing yourself speed wise. And you did... your swivel clicks, and bag beats are a fine addition to this funky tune.
    Thanks Ebozyn, glad you could view it and give me the feedback to confirm that it wasn't blocked there. I tried throwing in a few of you famous phantom elbow fist fist phantoms in there at song tempo which is pretty tricky but real fun! Soon maybe I'll be able to throw in some over under phnantoms so I'll be working on that now! Thanks for your vidz that inspire me to try more combo variations to music! It definitely makes bagging more interesting and challenging

Originally posted by paranday View Post
    Great video. You're a punch drumming machine.
    Thanks Paranday and thanks for taking the added effort to actually get to watch this vid

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
    I just realized that's a Everlast Classic Pro XS. How is leather on that thing holding up?
    It's hard to tell in the video, but if the leather on that thing is in great shape you really do have a rare bird there man. Those bags do look awesome on video, the contrast between the black and yellow looks really cool.

That's one of the reasons i like the Fighting Sports Pro 6x9 so much, the contrast of the panels make it look cool when it's flying around, and spinning.
    Yea, the leather will be fine for a while and even if it comes off in places the black and yellow xs has a great feel for punch drumming. It has plenty of substance and just the right rebound. I found that one at a sporting good store on clearance for $11.00! It was the last one I could find anywhere and just happened to run across it

The fighting sports bags have a great look, I think the next bag I will buy that doesn't come from Ralph is a the Rival bag that SpeedBagAtarxis hit in his Jesse Cook video. That seem like a sweet rebounding speed bag!

keep on baggin and posting vids!
    Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Saw it on facebook. Very nice performance. Nailing that bag beat!
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Aug 2010

You've taught me well!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        Saw it on facebook. Very nice performance. Nailing that bag beat!
        Thanks Alan! The time you spent teaching me the 5-1 and 3-3 syncopated punch drumming techniques has been priceless for my punch drumming experience. I've also watched your video clips on punch drumming many times since Speed Bag II! Thanks for all the time you've committed to teaching the art of punch drumming. It's much appreciated here Can't wait to meet up again this year in Jersey for another speed bag grooveline!
        Last edited by novaspeedbagger; 11-28-2011, 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling
        Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
          Thanks Alan! The time you spent teaching me the 5-1 and 3-3 syncopated punch drumming techniques has been priceless for my punch drumming experience. I've also watch your video clips on punch drumming many times since Speed Bag II! Thanks for all the time you've committed to teaching the art of punch drumming. It's much appreciated here Can't wait to meet up again this year in Jersey for another speed bag grooveline!
          Speaking of the 5-1 I've been studying that a bit more and have a few more variations off of it that I'm not sure I showed you..

Here's one. Make the 5th punch kinda of a drag 3 punch triplet. (the 5th punch is on beat 4 of measure..) and than change sides of the bag to start 5-1 on other side.

looks like this:

FCP ' ' ' FCP ' ' ' FCP ' ' ' FCP ' ' ' (F-Rollx3) -' '- RSPx4 ' ' ' 3 punch R-Roll ' ' ...repeat.

I guess it formally makes it a "4-3punch roll change sides" combo, but since the 5th punch is really the first punch of the Roll I just see it as one of several variations.

Play with it.
          Last edited by Speedbag; 11-28-2011, 09:54 AM.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Aug 2010

A Great variation for hitting to music Alan!

Speaking of the 5-1 I've been studying that a bit more and have a few more variations off of it that I'm not sure I showed you..

Here's one. Make the 5th punch kinda of a drag 3 punch triplet. (the 5th punch is on beat 4 of measure..) and than change sides of the bag to start 5-1 on other side.

looks like this:

FCP ' ' ' FCP ' ' ' FCP ' ' ' FCP ' ' ' (F-Rollx3) -' '- RSPx4 ' ' ' 3 punch R-Roll ' ' ...repeat.

I guess it formally makes it a "4-3punch roll change sides" combo, but since the 5th punch is really the first punch of the Roll I just see it as one of several variations.

Play with it.
            After reading this reply Alan, I went down to the dungeon o' speed bag and gave the "4-3punch roll change sides" combo a try.

I think it can be called the 4-3 for short when we are talking about punch drumming. If you have any more variations send them my way, I'll give it a good go! The 4-3 is a cool departure from the 5-1 and gave the traps a good burn due to the reverse 3x fist rolls.

Thanks again Alan!
            Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

After reading this reply Alan, I went down to the dungeon o' speed bag and gave the "4-3punch roll change sides" combo a try.

I think it can be called the 4-3 for short when we are talking about punch drumming. If you have any more variations send them my way, I'll give it a good go! The 4-3 is a cool departure from the 5-1 and gave the traps a good burn due to the reverse 3x fist rolls.

Thanks again Alan!
              Did I show you how to change sides of the bag while doing the 5-1? I think we talked about it in NJ but I'm not sure.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Aug 2010

Did I show you how to change sides of the bag while doing the 5-1? I think we talked about it in NJ but I'm not sure.
                Yea you showed me that but,I probably need a bit of a refresher course. I believe you have a short explanation about changing sides of the bag on the syncopated punch drumming videos. I'll check those out again and brush up on it.
                Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Yea you showed me that but,I probably need a bit of a refresher course. I believe you have a short explanation about changing sides of the bag on the syncopated punch drumming videos. I'll check those out again and brush up on it.
                  OK. Basically, On any punch you pass through to the other side, do a double punch on that side and the second fist hits (on that side) where it would have in the 5-1 combo, (same count). But this does not change the combo pattern, meaning on the 5th and 6th punch you must pass to the other side. (but you CAN do a double punch on those also)

Besides changing sides in the combo, this adds the extra pick up beat (lead punch) to the side, kinda like d-D,

It works best on punches 2,3,4

I'll give an example and will change sides on Punch 3. Do 1 and 2 as usual. After 2, pass behind and do a double punch. the lead fist is a pick up beat and the second fist is punch 3 in the combo. now punch 4 and 5 hit behind. after punch 5 you must pass through (back to front) for punch 6, then pass again to reverse to begin again on 1, which now your starting the 5-1 from behind. Punch 1,2 hit behind, then pass to front of bag and do double punch. the second fist hits for punch 3. now your back to the front of bag where you started.

You can also do a double punch on punch 6 or on the pass through to punch 1. You just have to rush it a bit to add the pick up punch.

You can change sides on any punch 2,3,4,5, or combo of them, such as on 2, then 5. Only rules is, 5 has to pass to 6
                  and 6 has to pass to 1.

Can also add the three punch roll roll on 5 and pass to 1. (just learn that a in earlier post)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now the big kick. In the 5-1 you can also change each single punch to a Double Punch, adding a pick up beat to every one of them. Just have to punch faster.

Try these, Nova. You'll feel them pretty quick.
                  Last edited by Speedbag; 11-30-2011, 09:01 PM.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Gifted

Hope you all enjoy this speed bag groove! Happy Thanksgiving! Bag On!

Here's a link that may be viewable if anyone is interested in trying!

Kerry, I love your smooth style of punch drumming. This is great! Sooo smooth!

I'm experimenting with the zip-tie swivel and I really like it. Except that they break. It could be a combination of the cold and old zip ties... found them in the garage and I don't know how old the plastic ties are. I suppose that the older they are, the more brittle they become. I bought a metal carabiner (sp) clasp and it seems to work well. (Not the best snapshot, but, this is the size I bought. Fits just right on the i-hook.)

Thanks for posting this, Kerry. And, I wish YouTube would lighten up!
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Aug 2010

Punch drumming light bulb's getting a bit brighter

OK. Basically, On any punch you pass through to the other side, do a double punch on that side and the second fist hits (on that side) where it would have in the 5-1 combo, (same count). But this does not change the combo pattern, meaning on the 5th and 6th punch you must pass to the other side. (but you CAN do a double punch on those also)

Besides changing sides in the combo, this adds the extra pick up beat (lead punch) to the side, kinda like d-D,

It works best on punches 2,3,4

I'll give an example and will change sides on Punch 3. Do 1 and 2 as usual. After 2, pass behind and do a double punch. the lead fist is a pick up beat and the second fist is punch 3 in the combo. now punch 4 and 5 hit behind. after punch 5 you must pass through (back to front) for punch 6, then pass again to reverse to begin again on 1, which now your starting the 5-1 from behind. Punch 1,2 hit behind, then pass to front of bag and do double punch. the second fist hits for punch 3. now your back to the front of bag where you started.

You can also do a double punch on punch 6 or on the pass through to punch 1. You just have to rush it a bit to add the pick up punch.

You can change sides on any punch 2,3,4,5, or combo of them, such as on 2, then 5. Only rules is, 5 has to pass to 6
                      and 6 has to pass to 1.

Can also add the three punch roll roll on 5 and pass to 1. (just learn that a in earlier post)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now the big kick. In the 5-1 you can also change each single punch to a Double Punch, adding a pick up beat to every one of them. Just have to punch faster.

Try these, Nova. You'll feel them pretty quick.
                      Thanks again Alan for continuing to advise me on the various options in the syncopated realm of punch drumming. I cannot claim to be a master at this but I feel these beats naturally at times, but to have a much clear understanding through practicing your suggestions is very enlightening. Some times I feel like I have better understanding and at other times I loose it momentarily, but the whole process is fun and hopefully I'll be able to pass it along to others if they want to pursue this punch drumming fun!

Thanks for taking the time to watch my punch drumming vids and continue to offer advice Alan! Much appreciated my friend!

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                      Kerry, I love your smooth style of punch drumming. This is great! Sooo smooth!

I'm experimenting with the zip-tie swivel and I really like it. Except that they break. It could be a combination of the cold and old zip ties... found them in the garage and I don't know how old the plastic ties are. I suppose that the older they are, the more brittle they become. I bought a metal carabiner (sp) clasp and it seems to work well. (Not the best snapshot, but, this is the size I bought. Fits just right on the i-hook.)

Thanks for posting this, Kerry. And, I wish YouTube would lighten up!
                      Yea the zip tie has it's disadvantages. I personally use them to avoid having any more rust, and metal shavings removed from my eyes.

Glad you liked the vid. I guess there are ways to work around youtube like the facebook link. Keep on punch drumming Dee and Thanks for watching!
                      Novaspeedbagger

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...