• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swfl
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2013

Noise

Good Evening. So it appears I will be moving to a 3rd floor condo. No garage(grr.). On the water so its not so bad. The ubolt is behind me now and I really love the sound of the old everlast ball. The building is concrete structure. I will be on the corner so an outside wall will be available. You think there is a way to mount solid and not tick off the neighbors? I have been thinking about making a overkill platform if that would help??
    Last edited by swfl; 08-29-2013, 09:32 PM.
  • Niki Knuckles
    • Apr 2012

When I lived in a concrete condo, the noise was only heard in the hallway. The other tenants never heard noise in their units. All that is required of you is to put a bag filled with sand on top of the platform.
    Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by swfl View Post
      Good Evening. So it appears I will be moving to a 3rd floor condo. No garage(grr.). On the water so its not so bad. The ubolt is behind me now and I really love the sound of the old everlast ball. The building is concrete structure. I will be on the corner so an outside wall will be available. You think there is a way to mount solid and not tick off the neighbors? I have been thinking about making a overkill platform if that would help??
      I had a similar situation. I originally lived in a single detached cottage, but since moved to an apartment with tenants above me. I had a old school everlast platform and experimented with different amounts of weight in a bin on top to see what would stop the sound/vibration. I had to put about 100 lbs on top to get it to a minimum.

That being said, I didnt believe the Everlast platform was sturdy enough to support this amount of weight for a long period of time, so I customized a Prime fighter 400 with a 6 inch-110lb Butcher block reinforced with a 1/4 inch- 30lb steel plate, added two additional support angles on top, and also an additional horizontal support. Bringing it to a safe, QUITE and sturdy 140lbs.

I havent had any complaints from any of the neighbors, they don't know I have a speedbag platform set up!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 09-03-2013, 08:45 AM.
      -Anthony

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bag-A-Holic View Post
        I had a similar situation. I originally lived in a single detached cottage, but since moved to an apartment with tenants above me. I had a old school everlast platform and experimented with different amounts of weight in a bin on top to see what would stop the sound/vibration. I had to put about 100 lbs on top to get it to a minimum.

That being said, I didnt believe the Everlast platform was sturdy enough to support this amount of weight for a long period of time, so I customized a Prime fighter 400 with a 6 inch-110lb Butcher block reinforced with a 1/4 inch- 30lb steel plate, added two additional support angles on top, and also an additional horizontal support. Bringing it to a safe, QUITE and sturdy 140lbs.

I havent had any complaints from any of the neighbors, they don't know I have a speedbag platform set up!

!!! Dude, you need to see a doctor about your speed bag addiction. That is a SERIOUS speed bag man cave.

...and you might send Randy Ray of Primefighter sports a picture of your unique adaption to the PF-400. That is amazing work.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• swfl
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2013

wow! Very nice set up. Building a new drum this week. 5 inch thick ipe wood 30x25.5. Its going to be heavy. Thank you.

Comment

• Thor
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Aug 2013

Whoa ... I didn't know they made butcher block that thick!

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

IMHO...
              To me (and this is just my personal taste), I prefer a drum that is a little thinner (1 3/4" - 2") and really well braced (Like my vintage platform). WHY? Because the sound is just killer! When a platform is too thick or too weighted-down, you lose that great drum sound...and it's all about the sound to me. I think they were on to something way-back-when!

Now, I know this doesn't apply to this post...and you need something quiet. A thick drum will do that.
              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• paranday
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                ...Now, I know this doesn't apply to this post...
                I think you like showing that thing off. If that platform were mine, I'd do the same. YOU LUCKY STIFF.

Comment

• nah
                  • Jul 2013

Excellent!

Beautifully made with sturdy vintage look. Can i have it?! Just kidding~ ^!^

Comment

• Zaza
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                    I think you like showing that thing off. If that platform were mine, I'd do the same. YOU LUCKY STIFF.
                    who me? I just love it SOOOO much.

Originally posted by nah View Post
                    Beautifully made with sturdy vintage look. Can i have it?! Just kidding~ ^!^
                    Vintage, because it IS vintage, with JUXT's help, it looks like it's from somewhere around 1917ish.

...and No, you can't have it! I've decided that I will be burried with it....or 'will' it to Paranday for safe keeping.
                    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I've been communicating via SBC with a bagger in michigan who sent me this picture of his board setup.

Looks pretty old school, and gorgeous.
                      Attached Files
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...