• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

New Combo

New (for me at least) Combination which I aim to be able to keep going continuously very soon.

I wrote it down then hit it the next day.
    I wrote it as: L(SSP)'RRL(S-TES)''R(SSP)'LLR(S-TES)''RLRLRLRLR(9-PUNCH)''repeat.
    So the side single punches are shadow punches and the Side triple elbow strike connects after one rebound. Two rebounds after the S-TES and in goes the 9-punch.

Just those two combos repeating is what I was going for.

First I hit it on this drum.

Then I thought I should take it to the vert bag! Didn't quite get it in the sequence I was going for but the parts are there. I need to keep working on my vert bag game.

One day I will get it done on the upside down bag.

But that was a bit ambitious since I had never hit the bag on an upside down setup before. So this is as far as I got.
    Last edited by Speedbag Seaweed Man; 08-13-2015, 03:30 PM.
  • Alex Skylakos
    • Oct 2014

Very nice phantom punches from the sides. Your all over that bag from every angle. That poor bag never stood a chance!

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
      New (for me at least) Combination which I aim to be able to keep going continuously very soon.

I wrote it down then hit it the next day.
      I wrote it as: L(SSP)'RRL(S-TES)''R(SSP)'LLR(S-TES)''RLRLRLRLR(9-PUNCH)''repeat.
      So the side single punches are shadow punches and the Side triple elbow strike connects after one rebound. Two rebounds after the S-TES and in goes the 9-punch.

Just those two combos repeating is what I was going for.

First I hit it on this drum.

It's a brilliant combination, but not quite as written. I think your lead shadow punch (written as SSP) is wrong the way you are doing it.

Look at this with closer inspection of your actual fist position. I froze the frames below in the picture. Your fist contact for these is actually a Front Straight Punch (FSP), for it contacts the front area of your fists to the sides of the bag, not the index finger/thumb area of a Side Single Punch (SSP). You could also see this as a hook punch also (without the body torgue).

You could bend that single fist backward to make the index finger/thumb side hit the bag instead of the front of the fist, but it is a fist position change only and IMO you don't gain any advantage in the combination by doing it, for that fist will return as the third fist of the S-TES in the SSP position anyway.

L(FSP) ' RRL(S-TES) ' ' R(FSP) ' LLR(S-TES) ' ' RLRLRLRLR(9-PUNCH) ' ' repeat

Yes it's a small change, for the punch is "a single punch hitting the side of the bag" but the fist position really differentiates the two.

Attached Files
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2015

Ah yes, I see. There is an obvious difference there that I missed.

I have been doing a few using the actual (SSP) fist position connecting with the bag, then switched to using the front of the knuckles (FSP) mostly because I found at this stage for me it became a lot easier to steer the bag in the side direction more accurately.

Also when using the index- thumb side of the fist, the reach was shortened and I couldn't reach under the elbow as far to get the first punch under there. As a result I was having to exaggerate the torso sway to get my arm out of the way sufficiently for the following (S-TES) to get leverage onto the bag.

Another reason I found using the (FSP) fist position more easily effective is that the bag bumps off the knuckles fast and the energy already in the moving bag was not absorbed by the punch as much as when using the (SSP) which requires a more positive connection.

Hi Alex my bro, top man for the kind words. But if the bag ever gives me grief I am inclined to pull it off the swivel- take down and ground and pound. It can be a bit stubborn at times lol.
        Last edited by Speedbag Seaweed Man; 08-14-2015, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2015

Cool poster aye Zaza! Thanks Rehamco1 for sending that all the way across the world to me. Your enthusiasm for the bag is to be admired and I am proud to be your friend SSM

Comment

• stefoz
            • Apr 2015

art of the bag story

Hey guys.How can i get one of those posters to Australia?Seaweed man?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by stefoz View Post
              Hey guys.How can i get one of those posters to Australia?Seaweed man?
              Check the ART of the Bag website. Left side buttons (menu), select "buy now" (3rd button down) and see the posters link.

If your nice to Joe, you may even get him to sign it for You.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Speedbag; 08-27-2015, 11:37 PM.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• stefoz
                • Apr 2015

Thanks master

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2015

This is one of the combos I was playing around with yesterday.

It goes- f-e-f (D-TES) ' e-f-f (D-TES) ' (SSP) '' (S-DES) ' (RDP) " repeat..

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

This is one of the combos I was playing around with yesterday.

It goes- f-e-f (D-TES) ' e-f-f (D-TES) ' (SSP) '' (S-DES) ' (RDP) " repeat..

Close. Actually it is a S-TES.

f-e-f (D-TES) ' e-f-f (D-TES) ' (SSP) '' (S-DES) ' (RDP) " repeat..

f-e-f (D-TES) ' e-f-f (D-TES) ' (SSP) '' (S-TES) ' (RDP) " repeat..

The Side-Triple Elbow Strikes is created from an Outward-Double Elbow followed a Side Single Punch (SSP) to make it an E-F/F movement with that last fist from the side, rather than the front. That is what I see you doing.

I never identified an individual S-DES movement because that elbow really hits the Front of the bag, not so much the "true side" panels. Of course, sometimes people see it and write it a bit different. No worries on that, but I see you doing that as a S-TES

Brilliant Combo. I have always been fascinated by continuous alternating Downward Double Elbow Strikes, or Downward Triple like you're doing.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• mirokiuru
                      • Jun 2015

shadowpunches

I have to ask alan since iv wondered for long time... what in earth are shadow punches i tried to watch closely seaweeds video but i didint saw them.. :/

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2015

Hey Miro. There are shadow punches thrown in this video. I would describe a shadow, or phantom punch as a fist that strikes the bag either under or over the elbow of the opposite arm. It sneaks in and connects with the bag, causing it to rebound once before the elbow strikes. In this video I am alternating between a left and right hand lead and shadow punching the side of the bag followed by a side triple elbow strike. See I am hitting the bag four times from each side then doing the 9-punch. The first punch from each side is the shadow punch and the following three make up the side triple elbow strike. So adding the shadow punch in the front of this combo turned it from a triple strike to one containing four parts. (and four rebounds). To see more shadow punches, look back at the legendary ebozyn's vids, (i'm an ebo fan). Deano does sick elbow punching as a core part of his amazing bagging and as for Juxt- his stuff is unreal.

Comment

• mirokiuru
                          • Jun 2015

Thanks! now i get it!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Hey Miro. There are shadow punches thrown in this video. I would describe a shadow, or phantom punch as a fist that strikes the bag either under or over the elbow of the opposite arm. It sneaks in and connects with the bag, causing it to rebound once before the elbow strikes. In this video I am alternating between a left and right hand lead and shadow punching the side of the bag followed by a side triple elbow strike. See I am hitting the bag four times from each side then doing the 9-punch. The first punch from each side is the shadow punch and the following three make up the side triple elbow strike. So adding the shadow punch in the front of this combo turned it from a triple strike to one containing four parts. (and four rebounds). To see more shadow punches, look back at the legendary ebozyn's vids, (i'm an ebo fan). Deano does sick elbow punching as a core part of his amazing bagging and as for Juxt- his stuff is unreal.

You read my mind! Everyday we're more and more alike. spooky.

ps: it can be a Front Straight Punch (FSP) connection or a Front Circle Punch (FCP) contact, ..or a Reverse Single Punch (RSP) contact, (...RSP or Side Single Punch SSP, could hit and pass through to the under elbow position.. Think SSP hitting bag, coming to front area "under the upraised elbow" of the other arm. Rarely happens naturally, it is usually a purposely planned move. )

Shadow punches are sometimes referred to as a "phantom punch" but they mean exactly the same thing.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2015

A new combo a day keeps the doctor away.
                              This one is a real tricky one to keep going without a windmill forming. I suppose it's because the points on the bag are unseen for the reverse punches, and after them it is tricky to judge the distance for making the side single punches.
                              There are just two techniques in this combo, repeated alternating left and right lead. (RDP)'(SSP)''(RDP)'(SSP)'' repeat. R-L-R--L-R-L

And this combo is the same thing but done from the front of the bag. And is a lot easier. Still fun though. It goes (FDP)'(SSP)''(FDP)'(SSP)'' repeat. Also R-L-R--L-R-L

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...