• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post

This was harder than I thought it would be. I don't often fist roll that long so it was a pretty good forearm workout (took multiple takes also).
    Cool Tim! Let's start a Speed Bag team; The U.S. Kangaroos!
    Now try that and when you get to the end, punch up a few combos, then go back round and add some fireworks as you get back home!
    When you try this on a board attached to a wall, the angle changes entirely when you get stuffed behind the bag against the wall. You gotta go low! It's a little trickier.
    Don't we all resemble kangaroos a bit when we do this? I think it's because we do it straight-faced! We need some more Mr. T faces goin' on! HAHA... BAG ON!

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      Geez, that looks like a "basketball bag". That is one short little fatty you got there. What size is it? ( 8x5 or smaller?)
      That is one of the $9.99 rejects from Title boxing... 8x5 (at least in theory). I love that bag , it's big, it's a fatty, it's misshapen, one panel is cracking, but I've barely touched another bag since I got that one. It's got a super energetic rebound, it's light, short loop, and it is soft on the hands. On a side note, I noticed Title recently jacked up the price on these (even though they are still listed in the Closeouts section) to $24.99. No doubt because of my endless rantings and ravings about how great it is

1. Now just for grins, reverse the Fist Roll and do it with a Reverse Fist Roll (R-Roll). Walk around the board doing a R-Roll.
      I was thinking about that last night as I drifted off to sleep, that would be challenging no doubt about it. An excellent way to work up to some longer r-rolls

2. Try changing the F-Roll -to- R-Roll in mid stream. You can actually "walk your hands around the bag" from a F-Roll to R-Roll by connecting them with the Side Single Punch (SSP). There are actually a lot of ways to explain this, depending on your skill level and understanding of the Speed bag terminology and your understanding of the fist orders of contact.

here's one way. First, Think about the "last fist" of a F-Roll actually being a SSP.

F-Roll.....R-L-R-L ' R-SSP. (this is a very quick, subtle move with mostly wrist motion and little arm movement. If the arm moves, think about dragging the Side fist (Right) across the face. Think about it and you will also see that the last two fist contacts (front-side) are actually a Side Double Punch. (SDP).

Second, think about that Side Single Punch (SSP) being the first punch of the Reverse Fist Roll. (R-Roll). This works nicely, for remember, there is actually a Side-Reverse Double Punch (S-RDP) technique. That is all you are doing. the combo Looks like this:

R-SSP ' (R-Roll)...L-R-L-R...

Put it all together and you have:

F-Roll ' SSP ' R-Roll. The "Rolling" sound never changes for the single rebound beat stays the same, but it is a really cool visual, for your Rolling quickly changes sides with no sound variation. The un-informed will not pick up the SSP, and will think you went from F-Roll ' R-Roll, (especially if your SSP contact hits the side-rear panel of the bag)

A quickie Practice combo to learn this will break the Fist Rolling techniques down to their last two fist contacts, making each a double punch

FDP ' SSP ' RDP.

This combo "rolls your fists around" from the front of the bag to the back, using the SSP as the connection. The keys are: the lead fist of the FDP breaks off to the side for the SSP, and the second fist of the FDP goes through to lead the RDP. After you get this five punch combo, simply extend the FDP or RDP by several punches, making the fist rolls.

When you examine the exact fist contacts in the above combo you will see it includes (1) FDP (2) SDP (3) S-RDP and (4) RDP all in the same combo. At this level of writing combinations you will find various ways to convey the same combo, with some unwritten techniques occuring.

These are small wrist movements but this takes good control of the Front and Reverse Rolling motions. If you can link front, back and sides pretty well, and your fist rolling is pretty good both ways, you will probably pick this up pretty quick. I think SpinSmashPop got it
      (F-Roll ' SSP ' R-Roll) on the third or fourth try. ( in the "Truck" during Dallas stop).
      (queueing this up to the printer now)

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
      Cool Tim! Let's start a Speed Bag team; The U.S. Kangaroos!
      Now try that and when you get to the end, punch up a few combos, then go back round and add some fireworks as you get back home!
      Yeah, I saw that after I posted mine, I watched yours again and was like aww crap , he went around a 2nd time... I'll add that in on the next take - except I'll go counterclockwise maybe. That video was my 4 or 5th take and my forearms were burning so I don't think I could have made it around again.

When you try this on a board attached to a wall, the angle changes entirely when you get stuffed behind the bag against the wall. You gotta go low! It's a little trickier.
      Yeah, my platform is 32" plus it's a good 8-10" away from the "wall" (or in this case the stereo receiver), so it's a lot easier for me to do. I actually didn't have to adjust my position at all.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Yeah, I saw that after I posted mine, I watched yours again and was like aww crap , he went around a 2nd time... I'll add that in on the next take - except I'll go counterclockwise maybe. That video was my 4 or 5th take and my forearms were burning so I don't think I could have made it around again.
        Interesting....
        Man, I used to, (not so much now), time myself doing a non stop fist roll for a minute. This was more or less when I first started was using a bigger Gyro bag. Anyhow, I would feel it mostly in my lower back. I've never felt it in my forearms. Maybe it's a drummer thing or something.
        Also, have you seen Skunk's "5 minute fist roll" clip. Man, it's 5 minutes without a mis-hit or break. He also mentions he thinks he can go 15 minutes if he had to. I think I had that in the back of my head when I was timing myself at one minute.

But it's not just how long, it's the challenge of keeping the fist roll going without any mistakes.
        Wait for the Caffeine Roll! hahhaa...
        VENI, VIDI, BAGGI!!!!!! hahaha!!!!!
        BAG ON!

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
          Interesting....
          Man, I used to, (not so much now), time myself doing a non stop fist roll for a minute. This was more or less when I first started was using a bigger Gyro bag. Anyhow, I would feel it mostly in my lower back. I've never felt it in my forearms. Maybe it's a drummer thing or something.
          Also, have you seen Skunk's "5 minute fist roll" clip. Man, it's 5 minutes without a mis-hit or break. He also mentions he thinks he can go 15 minutes if he had to. I think I had that in the back of my head when I was timing myself at one minute.

But it's not just how long, it's the challenge of keeping the fist roll going without any mistakes.
          Wait for the Caffeine Roll! hahhaa...
          VENI, VIDI, BAGGI!!!!!! hahaha!!!!!
          BAG ON!
          That could be a great fund raising idea for some charity like the Muscular Dystrophy Association, "24 hour non-stop fist roll maration" with a whole bunch of baggers joining in.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

That could be a great fund raising idea for some charity like the Muscular Dystrophy Association, "24 hour non-stop fist roll maration" with a whole bunch of baggers joining in.
            Totally....
            or "Who can go longest without a mis hit" or even better, have a counter to tally the number of fist rolls until the first mis-hit....
            That way, fist roll speed won't matter, just accuracy.....
            Sounds like fun!
            BAG ON!
            Check out my comments on the shoe ads someone posted yesterday!

Comment

• Kyle
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2006

That is one of the $9.99 rejects from Title boxing... 8x5 (at least in theory). I love that bag , it's big, it's a fatty, it's misshapen, one panel is cracking, but I've barely touched another bag since I got that one. It's got a super energetic rebound, it's light, short loop, and it is soft on the hands. On a side note, I noticed Title recently jacked up the price on these (even though they are still listed in the Closeouts section) to $24.99. No doubt because of my endless rantings and ravings about how great it is
              me to man i love that bag alot!!!
              ________
              Live sex
              Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...