Speed Bag Grooves: Speed Bag In The Rain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Whippet View Post
    I can't imagine what that must have been like. Being Canadian, and growing up near Toronto in the 70's/80's I have always been a Rush fan.
    I didn't want to suggest YYZ ... they (Rush) selected YYZ as the song title because it is the International Airport Identifier for Pearson Int'l Airport in Toronto ... and the crazy 12/10 beat or whatever the song is - is because the beat is actually Y-Y-Z in morse code. The song is structured around that.
    Rush_YYZ Drum Solo (3:23 - end)

Bagging might be different - especially from an experienced drummer. That would be very, very cool to see. Maybe we could persuade Alan and Zach to give 'er a go too?

Dennis
    Persuade us to give "what" a go?

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

In my youth I played drums constantly, marching band, drum corp and our local pep band / garage stuff, but never pursued it after college. I can tell you that the perception of rhythm never goes away, but the exact skills to reproduce it will over time. I could pretty well separate and syncopate my hands and feet against each other back then, but I would have to relearn the feet control. Without practice, your hands or feet will dominate the other. That will not be a problem for an experienced set drummer.

As far as perception of the rhythm, I think I actually honed it to bag sounds. A drummer has much more rhythmic freedom on drums than on a speed bag, for the rules of bag rhythm and the sounds made by the bag cannot be changed. For instance, a drummer can do a single stroke roll of say 9 strokes, and he can accent that roll in hundreds of different ways, placing emphasis on almost any of the nine beats or comination of beats, while keeping the speed of the roll constant. For the drummer, stick force (accents) and stick speed can be separately controlled.

But on a speed bag, a nine punch Front Fist Roll (F-Roll) can not easily be accented because to accent any punch, you will hit harder, and that will change the speed of the bag. Punch force directly effects bag speed and you cannot change that. If you hit harder, the bag WILL go faster. If you need the bag to stay at a constant speed, you cannot punch harder. If you do, the extra punch force can easily throw you "off time" to a song you are punching to. So, the nine Punch Fist Roll will almost always sound like nine equally accented beats. An Outward Triple Elbow Strike (O-TES) will always have the last sound (second fist) accently a bit louder than the other parts. It is almost impossible to change the accent pattern of that technique, or any other technique, and that makes the accent patterns of the speed bag combinations fairly predictable. The sound of a single fist pass through (FCP) ' ' (RSP) always sounds the same. The sound of a double fist pass through (FDP) ' ' (RDP) or (SDP) ' ' (SDP) always sounds the same. You can't change the accented sound pattern they make.
    To change the accent pattern, you have to change the techniques used in the combination. The trick is having the skill to change those techniques, and the accent patterns they make, with the hands from any position around the bag. Actually chapter 11 "echo rhythms and hitting to music" was my attempt to help you learn that abililty. The exercises will teach you to establish a 4-9 punch bag beat, and reproduce it constantly from anywhere around the bag. As you do this, voice out the rhythm. Learn to sing the bag beat. (that is why I put the sounds "d, D, dD, etc. underneath)

As a drummer, I quickly recognized the rhythmic potentials of the bag. Over the years I finally understood the limitations, as well as internalized the rhythmic patterns. I can hear any speed bag combination (that I know how to do) in my head. I can hit to any song "in my head" and move my hands to reproduce the sounds, (air punching). When I was first learning to control the bag to music, I would hear a song, hear a bag beat in my head and voice it out, then go to the bag and try it to see if it worked. I don't really have to do that anymore. When I hear it in my head, I pretty much know it will work. And there are limitless ways to punch drum to a song. At any time, two or three different accented combinations will work by adjusting your punching speed to make the accents match.

As a professional drummer with advanced percussion training, BT (Brian Tichy) will quickly learn the rhythmic limitations and applications of using the speed bag as a punch drum. He will "feel it", with out needing to contemplate how and why. With each new technique, he will internalize the "sound" each makes, just like the rudiments on the drums. Since he already has master control of reproducing those sounds with hands and feet his only limitation will be how many techniques he can do. When he can easily do the main 18 or so used in punch drumming from around the bag, than I expect he will be rippin' it "on the beat" to any song.

I am using BT as an example due to his professional percussion training and ability, but the above will also work for Anybody who is willing to learn the techniques, focus on the sounds each makes, and start to reproduce specific rhythmic patterns from around the bag. I have noticed through the years that percussionists seem to understand this a bit faster, and learn to control the sounds faster, because that is what "we" are trained to do.

Do I think about any of this when I'm punching to music? NO. I punch by feel. I feel the flow of the music beat and melody pattern, and improvise a bag beat to it automatically. I'm normally sensing the flow of the bag beat for a couple of measures ahead in a song. Depending on the song speed, I can change to half-time or double-time punching, which is a bit of an advanced concept if you're not musically trained, but once you hear it, most people "feel" how the bag beat fits at these speeds.

Oops. Sorry about going off on a little "speed bag rant", but maybe it will help someone.

Anyway, here is a good clip of BT from the front on a normally work day. (* He's playing drums behind Billy.... I'm thinking two or three hours at that pace is an incredible workout!)
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
      I can't believe the speed bag isn't more popular. I think it's like the drumset. There's a certain amount of "noise" that has to be tolerated by the others you live with. I was very fortunate to have parents that let me go mental on a drumset from 4th grade on. I've deadened my platform with a big dogfood bag, but it still reverberates through my house.
      And, it takes patience and concentration like anything. It looks easy, but when you start you see how you need to focus. Maybe people don't see the payback in the hours put into advanced bagging. Man, if pole vaulting and the long jump can be considered an "Olympic level" sport, then why can't the speed bag? Not to take anything away from an athlete invloved in the Olympics, but how is the bag being overlooked?
      A vaulter has to vault over a bar at a certain height. He either makes it or he doesn't. A long jumper runs real fast and jumps real far into the sand. Hopefully he jumps farther than anyone ever has.
      Isn't the speed bag more like the uneven bars, the parallel bars, or the ring things those guys balance on in the air with the insane sized bi's and triceps? Or a gymnast or a figure skater? All have insane technique. Ain't that the same with advanced speed bagging? I think so. Add it to the Olympics and have people freestyle, and punch to music. The fist roll is like the Hamil Camel! There's a whole art to this speed baggin' thing and I can' t believe I didn't start decades ago. It's always intrigued me.
      Enough of my yappin', let's do some baggin'!
      I would suggest they have several divisions.

Single, Pairs and mixed pairs.

Single Competition Possibilities.

1. freestyle punching. 1 minute time limit, do what you can. (two attempts)

2. Practiced Musical presentation. Punch to a 3 minute song (or segment) of the baggers choice. (two attempts)

3. Improvised Musical presentation. Punch to a 3 minute song (or segment) of the judges choice. (two attempts) (* bagger has no idea what the song will be)

4. Possible "dual bag" competition. One bagger on two bags. Dual bag punching. Must punch each bag individually and simultaneously and then change bags every 15 seconds or so.
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Pairs and mixed pairs presentation possibilities:

1. Synchronized freestyle punching. 1 minute attempt time limit, tandem, matching combinations. (two attempts. each bagger has their own bag)

2. Practiced Musical presentation. sychronized Punching to a 3 minute song (or segment) of the baggers choice. (two attempts. Each bagger has their own bag)

3. Improvised Musical presentation. Pair trade off Punching to a 3 minute song (or segment) of the baggers choice. (two attempts) (* ONE bag. Baggers must rotate, non-stop, every 15 seconds or 16 measures)

...Now finding consumate judges who understand the techniques, combinations and degree of difficulty might be a problem...
      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        I would suggest they have several divisions.

Single, Pairs and mixed pairs.

Single Competition Possibilities.

1. freestyle punching. 1 minute time limit, do what you can. (two attempts)

2. Practiced Musical presentation. Punch to a 3 minute song (or segment) of the baggers choice. (two attempts)

3. Improvised Musical presentation. Punch to a 3 minute song (or segment) of the judges choice. (two attempts) (* bagger has no idea what the song will be)

4. Possible "dual bag" competition. One bagger on two bags. Dual bag punching. Must punch each bag individually and simultaneously and then change bags every 15 seconds or so.
        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Pairs and mixed pairs presentation possibilities:

1. Synchronized freestyle punching. 1 minute attempt time limit, tandem, matching combinations. (two attempts. each bagger has their own bag)

2. Practiced Musical presentation. sychronized Punching to a 3 minute song (or segment) of the baggers choice. (two attempts. Each bagger has their own bag)

3. Improvised Musical presentation. Pair trade off Punching to a 3 minute song (or segment) of the baggers choice. (two attempts) (* ONE bag. Baggers must rotate, non-stop, every 15 seconds or 16 measures)

...Now finding consumate judges who understand the techniques, combinations and degree of difficulty might be a problem...
        Well the judges would have to be Alan, The Skunk, Tim Platt, Dee Pooler and Paulie D. I know there are other cats I've seen on youtube that are baggin' like champs, but those first 5 are a good start. Problem is AK, how many people are baggin' at the level to compete with all the ideas you propose?
        Maybe the first thing is to start off any competition with more emphasis on the basics and have you "judges" come out and destroy us all as a grand finale! But I do think one type of competition would be killer... SPEED!
        It is a SPEED BAG...let's promote speed! People love the fastest runners, the fastest swimmers, the fastest skaters, the fastest skiers, the fastest pitchers, the fastest cars, the fastest horses, dogs, animals, etc....

So...a speed competition.... 2 types of speed .....
        1. One minute of fist rolling
        2. One minute of FCP's, any combination of hands (1 rt., 1 left.... 2 rts, 2 lefts, etc...) as long as it's all FCP's...

In the world of drumming, there are competitions for the fastest hand and fastest feet. (There's also tons of gtr. speed freaks out there on youtube that show themselves speed picking to ridiculously fast tempos)...
        Regarding the hands, the most common comp. is for a single stoke roll for one minute. That means Right/Left as fast as you can.
        There is a timer/sensor hooked up to a drum pad that starts keeping time and counting strokes as soon as you start. I think this can be used on a platform. I think people would get a kick out of watching it! It is way more physical than the fastest drummer comp. And if people are watching a guy tear up a bag and the seconds are ticking and the counter is showing the number of rebounds, that's good entertainment!
        It takes a lot of coordination and skill to do so it's going to be very impressive to the average sports fan sitting at home channel surfing in between football games or at half time.
        We're gonna need a good theme song too! Either hard rockin' or modern symphonic a la Rocky or Chariots of Fire! Forget it, we'll have both!
        And then we can do a minute or two of freestyle.
        Hopefully people get excited about the bag and it will get more popular world wide!
        So there's my 2 cents...for now!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

I can't imagine what that must have been like. Being Canadian, and growing up near Toronto in the 70's/80's I have always been a Rush fan.
          I didn't want to suggest YYZ ... they (Rush) selected YYZ as the song title because it is the International Airport Identifier for Pearson Int'l Airport in Toronto ... and the crazy 12/10 beat or whatever the song is - is because the beat is actually Y-Y-Z in morse code. The song is structured around that.
          If you watch any of their big concerts (and you sir have done much better than that) like Rio, people try to jump up and down to that song and can't do it. It's really funny to watch.
          Bagging might be different - especially from an experienced drummer. That would be very, very cool to see. Maybe we could persuade Alan and Zach to give 'er a go too?

Dennis
          Hey Dennis! I think Alan smokes the punch drumming so hard because of 3 simple things...
          1. He's a drummer so he can pick up rhythms easier than a non-drummer. He understands how the punches and rebounds are going to flow and land to create endless rhythms.
          2. He's very methodical and his technique is phenomenal!
          3. He more into it than you or me! He is so into it he commited to writing The Speed Bag Bible! That is some ridiculous attention to the art of baggin' and dedication to love of the speed bag! How bout how many videos he has of punch drumming to different songs! Amazing!
          I, on the other hand, understand what's going on but my technique is that of a beginner. Last night I tried to bag out the YYZ rhythm and found the combination. But it is very slow. I will try to get it together soon but man, I've got a lot of work to go with my techniques before I start trying to use those undeveloped techniques to punch drum all our favorite songs!
          All in all, it's a fun challenge any and every time!
          And yes, I knew of the history of the name YYZ. It is a great story! And what about the live version on Exit Stage Left! That rules!

Comment

• Whippet
            • Nov 2008

Hey Dennis! I think Alan smokes the punch drumming so hard because of 3 simple things...
            1. He's a drummer so he can pick up rhythms easier than a non-drummer. He understands how the punches and rebounds are going to flow and land to create endless rhythms.
            3. He more into it than you or me! He is so into it he commited to writing The Speed Bag Bible! That is some ridiculous attention to the art of baggin' and dedication to love of the speed bag! How bout how many videos he has of punch drumming to different songs! Amazing!
            I, on the other hand, understand what's going on but my technique is that of a beginner. Last night I tried to bag out the YYZ rhythm and found the combination. But it is very slow. I will try to get it together soon but man, I've got a lot of work to go with my techniques before I start trying to use those undeveloped techniques to punch drum all our favorite songs!
            And yes, I knew of the history of the name YYZ. It is a great story! And what about the live version on Exit Stage Left! That rules!
            That is an amazing version. I have been a long-time keyboard player - from classical to the Killer himself, so it does also help some with rhythm/accent etc.
            I can't wait to get my copy of the Speed Bag Bible. I think I really am flying blind here without it.
            Looking forward to hearing & seeing your YYZ - maybe you should send a copy to Neal.
            Thank you for taking the time to explain in detail, Alan; information like that will never fall on deaf ears in here. Well, I was a mortarman for a number of years in the Infantry so slightly deaf ears ...

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

Wow the vid is amazing! I wish I stuck with the drums but I chose the guitar. I too love Rush;saw them on the Power Windows tour. The Exit Stage Left Drum Solo is awsome But I really dig the Show of Hands solo which is the YYZ solo extended a bit more. Of course Zeppelin rules and as a result have I expanded into more heavy and extreme metal......Curse you Van Halen!!!! I Don't know if you're into any of it, in particular Slayer(DAVE LOMBARDO rules!!), Pantera(Vinnie!) or a personal favorite Chimaira(Andols Herrick) The stuff's extreme but it ain't all blast beats like most death metal which of course is an acquired taste.BTW I'm sure you've heard Snakes and Arrows which is DEFINITELY a fine Rush album!
              sigpic

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Metal!

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                Wow the vid is amazing! I wish I stuck with the drums but I chose the guitar. I too love Rush;saw them on the Power Windows tour. The Exit Stage Left Drum Solo is awsome But I really dig the Show of Hands solo which is the YYZ solo extended a bit more. Of course Zeppelin rules and as a result have I expanded into more heavy and extreme metal......Curse you Van Halen!!!! I Don't know if you're into any of it, in particular Slayer(DAVE LOMBARDO rules!!), Pantera(Vinnie!) or a personal favorite Chimaira(Andols Herrick) The stuff's extreme but it ain't all blast beats like most death metal which of course is an acquired taste.BTW I'm sure you've heard Snakes and Arrows which is DEFINITELY a fine Rush album!
                Thanks Metaldad!
                I haven't kept up on all the latest Rush releases over the years, but I feel like I gave them some of my best years! haha....
                Re: heavier drummers and music... I like a lot of it and am constantly blown away by how far today's drummer's have taken speed and extreme drumming. My favorite metal band and metal drummer (outside of the older classics), is Pantera. I have been friends with those guys for years, (Dimebag R.I.P.). Vinnie sent me one of his signature snare drums a couple years ago. I toured with Ozzy in 2000 and Pantera was on that tour. It was a high point for me!
                I now also love Meshuggah. They are my favorite current heavy band. Also, if you haven't heard Gojira, check them out.
                Here's a clip of me with Oz performing War Pigs. Type in "Ozzy 2000" in youtube and you can view most of the songs we did that were part of the Pay Per View they released that year.
                KEEP ON BAGGIN'!
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

I can't wait to get my copy of the Speed Bag Bible. I think I really am flying blind here without it.
                  Looking forward to hearing & seeing your YYZ - maybe you should send a copy to Neal.
                  The Bible will put it all together much quicker for you. It's all there!
                  YYZ punch drummed to Neil; good idea!

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Thanks Metaldad!
                    I haven't kept up on all the latest Rush releases over the years, but I feel like I gave them some of my best years! haha....
                    Re: heavier drummers and music... I like a lot of it and am constantly blown away by how far today's drummer's have taken speed and extreme drumming. My favorite metal band and metal drummer (outside of the older classics), is Pantera. I have been friends with those guys for years, (Dimebag R.I.P.). Vinnie sent me one of his signature snare drums a couple years ago. I toured with Ozzy in 2000 and Pantera was on that tour. It was a high point for me!
                    I now also love Meshuggah. They are my favorite current heavy band. Also, if you haven't heard Gojira, check them out.
                    Here's a clip of me with Oz performing War Pigs. Type in "Ozzy 2000" in youtube and you can view most of the songs we did that were part of the Pay Per View they released that year.
                    KEEP ON BAGGIN'!
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4-N2oWms2g
                    LOL! Maybe you should be"metaldad"! I LOVE MESHUGGAH! ObZen just absolutely RIPS!! Gojira is also "Stuck" in my mp3player "The Way of All Flesh" is a great listen. You're absolutely right about the new wave of musicians taking it to the next level. So many out there it makes my head spin! Here's a blacktooth for Dimebag (RIP). I've seen Pantera at least four times! I got the bruises to prove it lol! You didn't make it through Alpine Valley in East Troy, Wisconsin with Ozzy that year did you?
                    sigpic

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                      LOL! Maybe you should be"metaldad"! I LOVE MESHUGGAH! ObZen just absolutely RIPS!! Gojira is also "Stuck" in my mp3player "The Way of All Flesh" is a great listen. You're absolutely right about the new wave of musicians taking it to the next level. So many out there it makes my head spin! Here's a blacktooth for Dimebag (RIP). I've seen Pantera at least four times! I got the bruises to prove it lol! You didn't make it through Alpine Valley in East Troy, Wisconsin with Ozzy that year did you?
                      Yeah, you're on the case! I'm a KISS, ZEP, VH, SAB, ACDC, metal head who got into all other stuff down the road... (James Brown, Carole King, etc...outside of rock), but I haven't ever messed around in a pit! So you are definitely the Metaldad! But I have done Black Tooths with Dime, traveled on their tour bus to the next town being beyind thankful the next day was a day off! If you go to my myspace www.myspace.com/briantichy .... you can see a pic of me with Vinnie and Billy Idol.
                      Anyhow, yes! Ozzfest was at Alpine Valley that year and I do remember that specific gig and place. It is a bigger than normal grass area and holds a ton of people. That tour was awesome.
                      BACK TO BAGGIN'!
                      Last edited by spinsmashpop; 12-18-2008, 09:48 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Well the judges would have to be Alan, The Skunk, Tim Platt, Dee Pooler and Paulie D.
                        I'd definitely count YOU into that, along with a few other musicians I know that hear the bag beat and punch drum pretty good. It takes a pretty precise ear to feel some of the more syncopated combinations, and I know you understand that. The judges of the music presentations need to separate the sounds and judge their timing, and not be overwhelmed with amazing flashy technique that lands off beat.

[I know there are other cats I've seen on youtube that are baggin' like champs, but those first 5 are a good start. Problem is AK, how many people are baggin' at the level to compete with all the ideas you propose?
                        It has to start at a grass roots level for sure with local contests to generate interest and desire. But I truly believe we have only seen a very small part of the real speed bag community. I firmly believe there is a kid punching in his basement, maybe in Hobeken or Hong kong, that will see me or skunk and say, "hey that guys not bad. He's got potential". We just don't know where they are, but I really believe we are only the tip of a very large iceburg.

the first competitions might not be as high a quality as the games demand, but neither was American Idol on the first show.

But I do think one type of competition would be killer... SPEED!
                        It is a SPEED BAG...let's promote speed! People love the fastest runners, the fastest swimmers, the fastest skaters, the fastest skiers, the fastest pitchers, the fastest cars, the fastest horses, dogs, animals, etc....

So...a speed competition.... 2 types of speed .....
                        1. One minute of fist rolling
                        2. One minute of FCP's, any combination of hands (1 rt., 1 left.... 2 rts, 2 lefts, etc...) as long as it's all FCP's...
                        Yeah, good call. I forgot about that. Definitely have "a need for speed" in this game. You could also have a loud metronome start a beat a the bagger punch in sync to it. the speed the metrone up faster and faster and see how fast he can keep a triplet beat in time. The metronome Beat per minute would be up on the score board for the crowd to see. The bagger has to stay "on beat" with control for at least 10 seconds. then the metrone goes up 3-5 beats a minute, depending on what the bagger has requested. ( endurance would also play a part in this, cause 1 minute or so of full bore punching is a LONG time for the unitiated.)

We're gonna need a good theme song too! Either hard rockin' or modern symphonic a la Rocky or Chariots of Fire! Forget it, we'll have both!
                        And then we can do a minute or two of freestyle.
                        Hopefully people get excited about the bag and it will get more popular world wide!
                        So there's my 2 cents...for now!
                        Definitely. I've been thinking about music presentation to highlight the speed bag every since I saw the Blue Man Group show in Vegas. ( seen it about 6 times now). They use a lot of Big Video Screens and shadow effects (:27 - 2:02), which would be a cool effect with the speed bag. (someone behind a giant white screen with back lighting)

Check it out BT. The stage is dark, and the music starts with a driving drum beat (duh..). ( I like a song like this that establishes a repetitive heavy drum groove that can be felt really easy. A lot of video game music is really pretty awesome music.)

at 9 secs, the spot hits the band for the voice shout and a huge video screen behind lights up with a close up of the Drummer. (wonder who that would be... )

The music and drums get the crowd grooving, then at :44 ( music change) the floor starts moving, and speed bag racks start coming up. Their poping up all over the stage. this lasts from :44 - 1:00 ( about 15 seconds)

At 1:03, with the drums pounding behind, the baggers start strutting in, and hold their hands ups in unity, then go to their respective bags.

At 1:45, they start rippin' in a unified beat to the now faster beat. After about 8 measures of so of unified punching, the spot goes around to each bagger, who solo's for a few measures (better be fast to keep up )

At 2:29, they fall back into unified punching, all triplet rhythm on beat.

At 2:38 the spot light goes center, the baggers stop - and the judges come in, one by one. The Video screen behind describes them. Each goes to a bag and punches in beat for 8 measures or so. Tichy comes off the Drumset, replaced by another drummer, and joins the judges.

3:30 the judges start punching on beat to the music. This songs going to fade and mix to another, which could be hundreds of choices. I haven't worked out the rest except it will end with Skunk going full bore on 6x4, and either the swivel melts or the board goes up in flames.

Oh well. I've got a bunch of ideas like this written down, using lots of different styles of music.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
                          Speed Bag Historian
                          • Jun 2006

3:30 the judges start punching on beat to the music. This songs going to fade and mix to another, which could be hundreds of choices. I haven't worked out the rest except it will end with Skunk going full bore on 6x4, and either the swivel melts or the board goes up in flames.

Or you could use the old vaudeville schtick with Skunk sending the bag out into the audience with the final punch.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                            Or you could use the old vaudeville schtick with Skunk sending the bag out into the audience with the final punch.

Yes, that would be cool too. But I think the flaming board or exploding bag would be more dramatic and emphasize his speed.

I've always had an idea for a commercial, using the old superman adage.

"...faster than a speed bullet? More powerful than a locomotive?

Look - under the board. Is it a bird, is it a plane?....

no, it's a speed bag"

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Speedbag!! I'm trying to keep up but it's Xmas time!

I'd definitely count YOU into that, along with a few other musicians I know that hear the bag beat and punch drum pretty good. It takes a pretty precise ear to feel some of the more syncopated combinations, and I know you understand that. The judges of the music presentations need to separate the sounds and judge their timing, and not be overwhelmed with amazing flashy technique that lands off beat.

It has to start at a grass roots level for sure with local contests to generate interest and desire. But I truly believe we have only seen a very small part of the real speed bag community. I firmly believe there is a kid punching in his basement, maybe in Hobeken or Hong kong, that will see me or skunk and say, "hey that guys not bad. He's got potential". We just don't know where they are, but I really believe we are only the tip of a very large iceburg.

the first competitions might not be as high a quality as the games demand, but neither was American Idol on the first show.

Yeah, good call. I forgot about that. Definitely have "a need for speed" in this game. You could also have a loud metronome start a beat a the bagger punch in sync to it. the speed the metrone up faster and faster and see how fast he can keep a triplet beat in time. The metronome Beat per minute would be up on the score board for the crowd to see. The bagger has to stay "on beat" with control for at least 10 seconds. then the metrone goes up 3-5 beats a minute, depending on what the bagger has requested. ( endurance would also play a part in this, cause 1 minute or so of full bore punching is a LONG time for the unitiated.)

Definitely. I've been thinking about music presentation to highlight the speed bag every since I saw the Blue Man Group show in Vegas. ( seen it about 6 times now). They use a lot of Big Video Screens and shadow effects (:27 - 2:02), which would be a cool effect with the speed bag. (someone behind a giant white screen with back lighting)

Check it out BT. The stage is dark, and the music starts with a driving drum beat (duh..). ( I like a song like this that establishes a repetitive heavy drum groove that can be felt really easy. A lot of video game music is really pretty awesome music.)

at 9 secs, the spot hits the band for the voice shout and a huge video screen behind lights up with a close up of the Drummer. (wonder who that would be... )

The music and drums get the crowd grooving, then at :44 ( music change) the floor starts moving, and speed bag racks start coming up. Their poping up all over the stage. this lasts from :44 - 1:00 ( about 15 seconds)

At 1:03, with the drums pounding behind, the baggers start strutting in, and hold their hands ups in unity, then go to their respective bags.

At 1:45, they start rippin' in a unified beat to the now faster beat. After about 8 measures of so of unified punching, the spot goes around to each bagger, who solo's for a few measures (better be fast to keep up )

At 2:29, they fall back into unified punching, all triplet rhythm on beat.

At 2:38 the spot light goes center, the baggers stop - and the judges come in, one by one. The Video screen behind describes them. Each goes to a bag and punches in beat for 8 measures or so. Tichy comes off the Drumset, replaced by another drummer, and joins the judges.

Oh well. I've got a bunch of ideas like this written down, using lots of different styles of music.
                              All your ideas are great. I would love to see the bag get to that level.
                              I appreciate you counting me in as a judge. A few months ago, with no knowledge of the punches and technique, you and Skunk seemed like mad scientists controlling a little bag in the air with minimal effort. I can now see what is going on and learn from it. I cannot come close to you guys under the board but I can definitely see the punch patterns and hear the rhythms and how it all works as far as being worthy to judge.....

Anyhow, it would be awesome to get it going just like you guys started the speed bag convention. Like baggin, start slow and at least be able to say it has been started. .... Is the convention going to be happening again in 09?

Oh yeah, Skunk melting the bag or exploding the board is killer!

Comment

• Tim
                                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Anyhow, it would be awesome to get it going just like you guys started the speed bag convention. Like baggin, start slow and at least be able to say it has been started. .... Is the convention going to be happening again in 09?
                                Unfortunately, the get together at LA boxing was the result of all the planets coming into alignment ... probably not happening this year. Alan was attending a professional conference in Orlando, and it just so happens that I live here, and Skunk is within driving distance (Lake city FL).

That said, I'd love to do it again (anywhere, not necessarily Orlando). The problem at the moment is one of critical mass... we're really quite a small and dispersed group, getting any number of experienced baggers together is not easy.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...