• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Baggin' in the Hood…y

Couldn't help myself.

I wanted to make a video to show how well my new homemade swivel works on my outdoor steel platform. But it was 35° and with a forecast of snow. I was also having a "bad hair" day and so I made good use of my Hoody. :-)

For the past month or two "Trainer Raul" and I have been working together to make a custom swivel. And, I think we have a winner. I found a 1" brass ball online and Raul put an I-bolt on it. I got a small carabiner to attach to the I-bolt. Then we constructed the swivel housing out of some durable plastic material we found. (It sure helps to have access to a garage full of tools.)

I decided to post this on You Tube, even though my Big Fat Hoody Head was in the way most of the time. But, there are some choice segments and there's a pretty good view of the swivel in action.

Novaspeedbagger recommended this Santana song to me a while back. It's a great song to punch to. I'm punching on two very different bags in this video. An FS bag for the first half, and then I switched it out for an Aussie speed ball by Jim Bradley. It's a bigger bag, with a longer loop, so I had to scramble to get up to speed with the tempo.

Anyway here it is, for what it's worth…

Yes...
    I am a
    BAGAHOLIC.

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

I see two traits converging, creativity and intensity. By intensity I mean that ballsy vibe you got going that puts one on the edge of their seat, by creativity the sure-handedness of your improvisation of interesting moves. I pondered last year what you'd be doing this year, and now I can't wait to see what level of the game you're bagging at next year. Bag on.

Comment

• Vegas7
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Mar 2011

Inspirational as usual. But the question is when do the swivels go into production and where do we get them?

Comment

• ebozyn
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2010

Cool Video. I dig the Baggin'. You seem to be attacking the bag with more confidence. It shows.

classified top secret:

That swivel looks awesome too. The white base looks killer. It's like some Area 51, Groom Lake stuff goin' on over there. Secret prototype testing.

"We are not alone."
        "The truth is out there."
        Attached Files

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by paranday View Post
          I see two traits converging, creativity and intensity. By intensity I mean that ballsy vibe you got going that puts one on the edge of their seat, by creativity the sure-handedness of your improvisation of interesting moves. I pondered last year what you'd be doing this year, and now I can't wait to see what level of the game you're bagging at next year. Bag on.
          YES! That's exactly how I feel when I watched this video... edge of the seat with anticipation. (Anticipation of what, I don't quite know. ...a mis-hit?)
          And, yes, I guess I am becoming more sure-handed. It comes with practice.

I am surprising myself with this addiction. I'm still hooked. Thanks so much for your keen observations, Jim.
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Vegas7 View Post
            Inspirational as usual.

But the question is when do the swivels go into production and where do we get them?
            Thanks, Vegas7...
            ... My original thought was to make a swivel that I would be happy with and that could also take some pummeling from Raul. I have a few rough prototypes. I figured on sending them to fellow speed baggers for them to critique. If I get a good review, and there's interest, we might actually consider producing them.

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
            Cool Video. I dig the Baggin'. You seem to be attacking the bag with more confidence. It shows.
            Thanks. Yes. I found out quickly (after the bag change) that I had to throw more of my body into those punches. It makes for a really good workout. In fact, I just came back in from a 30-minute practice on the Bradley and I'm feeling it. The loop on the Bradley is longer than most, and the carabiner might also hang lower than the conventional S-hook. Not sure. But, those things definitely factor in to the speed and propulsion of the bag.

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
            That swivel looks awesome too. The white base looks killer. It's like some Area 51, Groom Lake stuff goin' on over there. Secret prototype testing.

"We are not alone."
            "The truth is out there."
            Area 51. How observant of you, ebo. So what if I happen to have some alien material for my swivel. No big deal. As long as it makes the bag fly...

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

I love watching these videos...you rock it! I'm diggin' the swivel too (we need to see it close-up though, post some stills).

My fav is when you start hitting the bigger bag and putting some power in it...that stuff is great isn't it? The hoody just adds to the intrigue of the Area 51 swivel. I half expect to see an alien of some sort revealed in the end!

Keep on keepin' on!
              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Jake
                • Mar 2011

Wow!
                Excellent!
                I'll have to try some of those alternating D-DES.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Zaza View Post

I love watching these videos...you rock it! I'm diggin' the swivel too (we need to see it close-up though, post some stills).

My fav is when you start hitting the bigger bag and putting some power in it...that stuff is great isn't it?
                  Thanks, zaza! I'll let my (non-interested) filmmaker son know that at least OTHER filmmakers are watching and critiquing my productions.

The hoody just adds to the intrigue of the Area 51 swivel. I half expect to see an alien of some sort revealed in the end!

Keep on keepin' on!
                  I'll try to post some close-ups of the swivel later. Right now, I'm looking out the window at 7 inches of frozen snow between me and the garage. I'll trek out there a little later, maybe after my 2nd cup of joe. *brrrrrr* I'm pretty jazzed about this swivel. It's so slick – literally. No resistance.

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                  Wow!
                  Excellent!
                  I'll have to try some of those alternating D-DES.
                  Thanks Jake! Yes, the D-DES is a favorite of mine. I like to see how many in a row I can do.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

A short video close-up

Per zaza's request, here is a short video of the swivel up close and personal.

I need to sand and re-paint my drum .

Comment

• Zaza
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2011

Thanks... this looks nice. I've been thinking of building a few out if Delrin. (I build camera movement hardware at a CNC shop http://www.zazaslider.com/ ).
                      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

Cant wait to see what Raul has done up close. I always enjoy your videos but what i like most about this one is your intensity. Smokin that bag!
                        The Speed Ball should be in every hall

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Thanks... this looks nice. I've been thinking of building a few out if Delrin. (I build camera movement hardware at a CNC shop http://www.zazaslider.com/ ).
                          Cool. I'm going to send this link to my son. It might be of interest to him. So, did you design these, zaza?

So, here's a little bit clearer shot of the swivel. I have placed a second brass ball beside the swivel, just so you can see how we made it.

The material we used for the base is neoprene and it's one solid piece of material. I mistakenly called it Teflon when explaining it to paranday in a message. I've been seeing the name Delrin on some sites, but I am not familiar with its density, or hardness. This neoprene is pretty nice. It seems to be very durable. (Still doing heavy punching on one to see how it holds up.) I'm experimenting with stamping my initials in it with metal Lettering stamps. It's an inexpensive set, so they aren't coming out very nice. We've also painted a couple of them.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag
                            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                            Cool. I'm going to send this link to my son. It might be of interest to him. So, did you design these, zaza?

So, here's a little bit clearer shot of the swivel. I have placed a second brass ball beside the swivel, just so you can see how we made it.

The material we used for the base is neoprene and it's one solid piece of material. I mistakenly called it Teflon when explaining it to paranday in a message. I've been seeing the name Delrin on some sites, but I am not familiar with its density, or hardness. This neoprene is pretty nice. It seems to be very durable. (Still doing heavy punching on one to see how it holds up.) I'm experimenting with stamping my initials in it with metal Lettering stamps. It's an inexpensive set, so they aren't coming out very nice. We've also painted a couple of them.
                            This just keeps getting better and better. Where do you get the brass balls and eyelet shank and neopreme base plate in that shape.

Great looking swivel.
                            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                            The Quest Continues...
                            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• speedbag4life
                              • Jun 2007

Wow, how long have I been gone?? Who is this lady in the hoodie? Ms. D, you're commanding that bag like never before. Great job!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...