Speed Bag Grooves: Speed Bag In The Rain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Speed Bag Grooves: Speed Bag In The Rain!

One thing leads to another and before you know it, you're punch drumming to some songs that are flying around in your head.
    I've incorporated a snare drum with my left hand and my right foot on the kik drum with a basic Rt. FCP. It's a little challenging to balance and play the groove loosely, but it was really just done to have some fun.
    The groove is from Led Zeppelin's song "Fool In The Rain" featuring an awesome drum track by John "Bonzo" Bonham. The song is on the "In Through The Out Door" record. Get it if ya don't already own it!
    I have a long way to go with the art of speed baggin', but as a drummer, as I'm baggin', the idea of the bag being another percussion tool is always prevalent!
    You can't deny the power of the groove!
    KEEP ON BAGGIN'!

Having fun with a basic speed bag punch pattern while playing the snare drum with the left hand and the kik drum with the right foot. The groove is from Led ...
    Last edited by spinsmashpop; 12-14-2008, 04:58 AM. Reason: mistake fixed
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
    I've incorporated a snare drum with my left hand and my right foot on the kik drum with a basic Rt. FCP. It's a little challenging to balance and play the groove loosely, but it was really just done to have some fun.
    Very cool.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Very original groove there. Of course you are taking punch drumming to the next level, bringing in more of the drum kit, separating the arms and legs into separate beats and rhythms. that is that magic of "Drumming". The skilled drummer can use both hands and feet on different parts ( kick drum, high hat, double bass, cymbals, etc.) and put it all together.

In a few months you'll have a speed bag hanging by your set on stage.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Thanks! Re: Speed Bag In The Rain!

As you can see, I'm into the bag! I do have this little bit of fear that before I know it, I'll be on the road and it won't be able to just walk in the garage and punch. I have so many ideas but I only have so much time in a day. To me it's not just a cute little thing to punch while being a drummer. I am working on the techniques in the bible and that stuff is what blew me away to the point of finally setting up the bag. I'm gonna post some heavier stuff soon.
        KEEP ON BAGGIN'!

Comment

• dax_q
          • Jan 2008

That is one of my favorite songs. Good choice and good work.
          -Dax

Comment

• spinsmashpop
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Dax....

Originally posted by dax_q View Post
            That is one of my favorite songs. Good choice and good work.
            -Dax
            and Speedbag and Tim...
            Thank you very much! Next, look out for "The Immigrant Speed Bag"!!
            KEEP ON BAGGIN'!
            Last edited by spinsmashpop; 12-14-2008, 02:51 PM. Reason: added info...

Comment

• Kyle
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2006

and Speedbag and Tim...
              KEEP ON BAGGIN'!
              Cant wait!!!!
              ________
              Web shows
              Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

As you can see, I'm into the bag! I do have this little bit of fear that before I know it, I'll be on the road and it won't be able to just walk in the garage and punch. I have so many ideas but I only have so much time in a day. To me it's not just a cute little thing to punch while being a drummer. I am working on the techniques in the bible and that stuff is what blew me away to the point of finally setting up the bag. I'm gonna post some heavier stuff soon.
                KEEP ON BAGGIN'!
                What is really gonna be awesome is when you start mixing some syncopated kick drum beats in with some high hat while doing bag beats like a double tom solo. Doing it solo will be awesome and then doing it fully improvised with music, Well, that is when the world will truly understand the potential of Punch Drumming, and perhaps accept the speed bag as a * legitimate rhythmic instrument.

* at least to those in the world of drumming....

To me, this is like a trip to McDonalds - 'Cause I'm loving it.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

and Speedbag and Tim...
                  KEEP ON BAGGIN'!
                  "Immigrant Song" by Led Zepplin punches out to a comfortable medium speed syncopated 5-1 and 3-3, single fist pass-FDP, etc. Basic punching can go slow or faster, and sounds good with Double fist passing at near double time beat.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Nov 2007

I enjoyed that! Great stuff!

Comment

• Whippet
                      • Nov 2008

Awesome, unique and gettin' better all the time! Man, have I got some work to do!
                      Rush fan by any chance?

Dennis

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Hey UK!

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                        I enjoyed that! Great stuff!
                        Thanks! I watched your clip of your 4 year old baggin'! Man that's great! I too have some vid of one of my 6 yr. old daughters baggin'. She's very talented and coordinated. She got the basic FCP going within minutes! I may post soon...
                        How to keep warm while baggin' outdoors in the UK: start with an uptempo fist roll for a solid minute! If you ain't warmin' up after that, then you are some sort of freak!
                        KEEP ON BAGGIN'!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Peart, Lee and Lifeson!!! C'mon!

Originally posted by Whippet View Post
                          Awesome, unique and gettin' better all the time! Man, have I got some work to do!
                          Rush fan by any chance?

Dennis
                          Dennis/Whippet... Thanks for the kind words!
                          Yes, I worshipped Rush growing up! Bought all the records up to Grace Under Pressure and saw them in 8th grade on the Exit Stage Left/Signals Tour. Years later I got the opportunity to, at 23 years old, open up for them for 10 East Coast arena shows on the Roll The Bones tour, including the Philly Spectrum and Madison Square Garden. It was and still is a high point in my career! I was playing with a guitar virtuoso named Vinnie Moore. He was in Alice Cooper before that and is now with UFO. We were in a van on a club tour when his mgr. told us that we just got the opening slot on the Rush tour. This was Dec., '91. I got the guys to sign a drum head. It's on my studio wall. And Neil let me play his drums for about 15 minutes at MSG!
                          I know all his licks and he is still one of my faves and top 3 biggest influences growing up!
                          Maybe I'll try to learn the YYZ intro on the bag!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                            To me, this is like a trip to McDonalds - 'Cause I'm loving it.

I can't believe the speed bag isn't more popular. I think it's like the drumset. There's a certain amount of "noise" that has to be tolerated by the others you live with. I was very fortunate to have parents that let me go mental on a drumset from 4th grade on. I've deadened my platform with a big dogfood bag, but it still reverberates through my house.
                            And, it takes patience and concentration like anything. It looks easy, but when you start you see how you need to focus. Maybe people don't see the payback in the hours put into advanced bagging. Man, if pole vaulting and the long jump can be considered an "Olympic level" sport, then why can't the speed bag? Not to take anything away from an athlete invloved in the Olympics, but how is the bag being overlooked?
                            A vaulter has to vault over a bar at a certain height. He either makes it or he doesn't. A long jumper runs real fast and jumps real far into the sand. Hopefully he jumps farther than anyone ever has.
                            Isn't the speed bag more like the uneven bars, the parallel bars, or the ring things those guys balance on in the air with the insane sized bi's and triceps? Or a gymnast or a figure skater? All have insane technique. Ain't that the same with advanced speed bagging? I think so. Add it to the Olympics and have people freestyle, and punch to music. The fist roll is like the Hamil Camel! There's a whole art to this speed baggin' thing and I can' t believe I didn't start decades ago. It's always intrigued me.
                            Enough of my yappin', let's do some baggin'!

Comment

• Whippet
                              • Nov 2008

Dennis/Whippet... Thanks for the kind words!
                              Yes, I worshipped Rush growing up! Bought all the records up to Grace Under Pressure and saw them in 8th grade on the Exit Stage Left/Signals Tour. Years later I got the opportunity to, at 23 years old, open up for them for 10 East Coast arena shows on the Roll The Bones tour, including the Philly Spectrum and Madison Square Garden. It was and still is a high point in my career! I was playing with a guitar virtuoso named Vinnie Moore. He was in Alice Cooper before that and is now with UFO. We were in a van on a club tour when his mgr. told us that we just got the opening slot on the Rush tour. This was Dec., '91. I got the guys to sign a drum head. It's on my studio wall. And Neil let me play his drums for about 15 minutes at MSG!
                              I know all his licks and he is still one of my faves and top 3 biggest influences growing up!
                              Maybe I'll try to learn the YYZ intro on the bag!
                              I can't imagine what that must have been like. Being Canadian, and growing up near Toronto in the 70's/80's I have always been a Rush fan.
                              I didn't want to suggest YYZ ... they (Rush) selected YYZ as the song title because it is the International Airport Identifier for Pearson Int'l Airport in Toronto ... and the crazy 12/10 beat or whatever the song is - is because the beat is actually Y-Y-Z in morse code. The song is structured around that.
                              If you watch any of their big concerts (and you sir have done much better than that) like Rio, people try to jump up and down to that song and can't do it. It's really funny to watch.
                              Bagging might be different - especially from an experienced drummer. That would be very, very cool to see. Maybe we could persuade Alan and Zach to give 'er a go too?

Dennis
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Whippet; 12-17-2008, 08:08 PM. Reason: bad wording

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...