X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StevieMac
    • Oct 2010

StevieMac’s video debut…

I’ve only been hitting the bag for four weeks now but it’s been a dedicated four weeks of one to two hours a day.

So here’s where I’m at as of now. Comments & suggestions are welcomed.

Cheers,
    Steve

Last edited by StevieMac; 01-26-2011, 10:35 AM.
  • PIEFURZ
    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Some serious good stuff, what kind of board is that? Kinda looks like the Everlast Hydroboard from the side.

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

SM, very solid routine for just 4 weeks of bagging! Good mix of techniques, nice D-TES and O-TES. Just two suggestions - concentrate on keeping your elbows up, and try to relax a bit.

Your setup looks really solid; is it secured to the ceiling?

Comment

• StevieMac
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by PIEFURZ View Post
        Some serious good stuff, what kind of board is that? Kinda looks like the Everlast Hydroboard from the side.
        Thanks PIEFURZ. It’s a homemade platform made out of plywood and 2x4s. It turned out fairly well for a first try. I have a Balazs I-box on order but will keep this setup as well as the wife is interested in giving the bag a go.

Originally posted by Biff View Post
        SM, very solid routine for just 4 weeks of bagging! Good mix of techniques, nice D-TES and O-TES. Just two suggestions - concentrate on keeping your elbows up, and try to relax a bit.

Your setup looks really solid; is it secured to the ceiling?
        Thanks Biff. Thanks very much for the suggestions. Will do!

There is a wood beam running down the ceiling of my garage and the platform is attached to that. It was solid as a rock when I first put it up but that was before I found this site and realized I had mounted it too high. When I moved it down it lost a bit of stability but not bad at all.

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by StevieMac View Post
          I’ve only been hitting the bag for four weeks now but it’s been a dedicated four weeks of one to two hours a day.

So here’s where I’m at as of now. Comments & suggestions are welcomed.
          Steve, that's very good. Very, very good! I wasn't at all expecting to see any double bumping (0:10) let alone a double bump fist roll (0:14) in a beginner vid!!!

Downward triple elbow at 0:48 was very smooth as well, with a [1/2] link to an RSP. Very good!

It looks like you've go the front and back sides of the bag covered well. Might be time to throw some side punches into the mix?

Comment

• StevieMac
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Tim View Post
            Steve, that's very good. Very, very good! I wasn't at all expecting to see any double bumping (0:10) let alone a double bump fist roll (0:14) in a beginner vid!!!

Downward triple elbow at 0:48 was very smooth as well, with a [1/2] link to an RSP. Very good!

It looks like you've go the front and back sides of the bag covered well. Might be time to throw some side punches into the mix?
            Thanks Tim. I’ve been doing lots of work on the double bumps and shot a number of takes to get a decent double bump in the fist roll. It seemed to go to crap every time I turned the camera on!

I forgot to get any linking or split fists in the video on that take but that’s coming along well too. Liking the different techniques together is challenging at this point which made getting a decent video a bit of a chore and I was getting tired and a little frustrated by this point.

I tried a little bit of side punching the other night but I’ve got lots of work to do there! Oh well, that’s what keeps it interesting…

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Yeah Dude, Lookin' really good for just a months worth of practice. You've got the right idea of taking you time and being deliberate and thorough with your techniques. You'll be surprised on how quickly you'll advance with just basic practice. A lot of it is just a matter of repetition, the accuracy and timing will come before you know it.
              Looking awesome, keep at it! Like your set up too.
              T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• fingers
                Speed Bag Guru
                • May 2008

4 weeks work!! that is great progress some advanced techniques in there! the more you use the bag the more relaxed and effortless it becomes i think i need to try the double bumping myself! great work Steve.

Comment

• metaldad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2007

Very nice! lots of power in those hits! After four weeks and working the TES AND D-DES with a reverse hit? Pretty damned awesome! Can't wait 'til you really get those techniques flowing! Great work and setup. Such a neat garage......I'm embararssed now LOL!
                  sigpic

Comment

• StevieMac
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by TJ_MaTee View Post
                    Yeah Dude, Lookin' really good for just a months worth of practice. You've got the right idea of taking you time and being deliberate and thorough with your techniques. You'll be surprised on how quickly you'll advance with just basic practice. A lot of it is just a matter of repetition, the accuracy and timing will come before you know it.
                    Looking awesome, keep at it! Like your set up too.
                    Thanks TJ. I’m quite amazed at how fast things have started to come together already. I do work individual techniques over and over on their own so when I started combining them things got a bit sloppy but no complaints for the very limited amount of time I have into it so far.

Originally posted by fingers View Post
                    4 weeks work!! that is great progress some advanced techniques in there! the more you use the bag the more relaxed and effortless it becomes i think i need to try the double bumping myself! great work Steve.
                    Thanks fingers. I do find myself feeling more relaxed as I progress but I was pretty frustrated by the time I got to this take and wasn’t too relaxed at that point.

One of the very first videos I came across on this site was “Update from Mrs Mitts' corner...”

I loved all the double bumps she did so as soon as I was able to do the basic punching rhythm double bumps was the very next thing I started working on.

I’ve watched a LOT of the videos on the forum and I keep coming back to that one as a favourite. There’s just so much cool stuff in there and she’s SO SMOOTH and relaxed. So thanks for all the inspiration Mrs Mitts!

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                    Very nice! lots of power in those hits! After four weeks and working the TES AND D-DES with a reverse hit? Pretty damned awesome! Can't wait 'til you really get those techniques flowing! Great work and setup. Such a neat garage......I'm embararssed now LOL!
                    Thanks metaldad.

My garage is my sanctuary and I’ve put a lot of work making it a great place to work on my motorcycles or just chill for a bit. Getting the speed bag setup out there just makes it all the better!
                    Last edited by StevieMac; 11-15-2010, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Only 4 weeks?!

YOWSA! You're amazing, StevieMac. Only four weeks at it? Amazing! But, then I see you did your homework and also watched one of the best double-bump videos on YouTube –Mrs. Mitts is an amazing speed bagger – she's very focused. Practice makes perfect.

Yeah, just remember to keep your elbows up (my trainer nagged me about that in the beginning), and the smooth execution of the punches will follow nicely.

Very nice first effort on the platform! Looks pretty solid. And, the less vibration, the better. If I were you, I'd put it back on the beam (for better stability) and raise myself up to it. But, that's just me.

I'll be looking forward to seeing some clips of your wife on the bag! It's a GREAT workout – especially for a woman. And, if she's able to dedicate as much time per day as you, she'll be a pro in no time. It's all about Time Under The Board...

Welcome to the forum!

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• jumpcannon
                        Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Wow buddy i am very impressed! excellent hitting. Nice shop too!
                        evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• StevieMac
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                          YOWSA! You're amazing, StevieMac. Only four weeks at it? Amazing! But, then I see you did your homework and also watched one of the best double-bump videos on YouTube –Mrs. Mitts is an amazing speed bagger – she's very focused. Practice makes perfect.

Yeah, just remember to keep your elbows up (my trainer nagged me about that in the beginning), and the smooth execution of the punches will follow nicely.

Very nice first effort on the platform! Looks pretty solid. And, the less vibration, the better. If I were you, I'd put it back on the beam (for better stability) and raise myself up to it. But, that's just me.

I'll be looking forward to seeing some clips of your wife on the bag! It's a GREAT workout – especially for a woman. And, if she's able to dedicate as much time per day as you, she'll be a pro in no time. It's all about Time Under The Board...

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks MsDeville. I have indeed been diligently doing a LOT of homework on this site
                          Will do on the elbows, thanks for the advice. Normally I think I do a pretty good job with that but the video doesn’t lie!

The platform is still mounted to the beam just lower down on it so instead of having 6” of vertical contact with the beam it now has maybe 3”. Eventually I will pull it down and rebuild it so it sits at its current height but has the original stability. Adding something to stand on works fine and I did that for a few weeks but it’s just one more thing to trip over in the shop so I’d rather avoid it as much as possible.

There isn’t much chance of my wife being as dedicated as I am but we’ll se what happens. Maybe this addiction will bite her too. So far she says she doesn’t want to cut into my time on the bag which I’ve told her is not a problem but she wants to wait until we have a second platform up so she can be out there with me but not feel like she’s in the way or that I am watching her the whole time.

Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
                          Wow buddy i am very impressed! excellent hitting. Nice shop too!
                          Thanks JC

Comment

• The Baggist
                            Vert Baggin' Master
                            • May 2009

Four weeks!?!?! Very solid skills! I think it took me a couple of years to get that good. Nice setup!!

Comment

• StevieMac
                              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
                              Four weeks!?!?! Very solid skills! I think it took me a couple of years to get that good. Nice setup!!

Thanks dude. Much appreciated.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...