Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > Speed bag discussion

Supporter Links & Advertisements

Speed bag discussion Speed bag technique, training, and equipment

Old 08-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

Thor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDeville View Post
Hey Thor. With the Speed Bag Bible and a ball-hook swivel, I'd say you're off to a good start with your speed bag addiction. Safe travels. I expect the No.13 swivel has arrived at its destination and is waiting for you back home. Feel free to PM me here on the forum or email me directly with any questions you might have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would like to thank you for designing that swivel with a ball hook that has a "twist" in it. It makes it easier to put the bag on and take it off.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
My problem was with the board vibrating because the front edge isn't supported. My Engineer/Dad jammed a 2 x 4 between the top of the board & the ceiling beam & the vibration stopped completely.
Thanks - and one thing I notice is that, as you state, the iBox isn't as firm as the drum I was using on the ship - which was mounted directly to the ceiling - A STEEL ceiling. That thing was solid as a damn rock and this iBox just doesn't have that feeling. But - what else can you expect? On the ship - with the drum mounted to the overhead - the damn bag was too high for me to hit - and I'm 6'2"!! I had to stand on two 35 pound dumbbells to get the correct height.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:36 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranday View Post
hopefully Balazs will update the design of their iBox with functional perimeter bracing and access to the drum's center so folks can bolt their swivels through the drum if they want. The high quality workmanship and materials of the iBox are marred by the design.
I've been thinking about this ... the screw holes for the swivels are drilled all the way through the drum - this is only a matter of coming up with a solution to putting some kind of fastener that will fit underneath the drum mount.

Like maybe a recessed carriage bolt - but man, it would be about the smallest carriage bolt I've ever seen.

Or ... what's it called? A helicoil? Hell I don't know - but there are some threaded "nuts" that can be installed into wood that can just screw into them without having to hold on to them with a wrench.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:39 PM

PunchDrummer is on a distinguished road
Nice setup - beveled edges and all.

You've probably already noticed that the oddly-shaped Everlast Kangaroo bag (wider than it is deep - like a pancake), is better suited for a uni-directional swivel like a chain link or a U-bolt. Dee's Deville No. 13 ball-hook moves so freely that it's difficult to use anything other than a naturally "round" bag (it is for me at least).

Interesting note: The Everlast bags (I have) fit easily on a chain link because the loop is narrower than all of the others. Kind-of like gas vs. diesel pump nozzles.

Anyway - don't get bummed-out that basic rhythm or any other punching is more difficult on a ball-hook swivel with a bag that is shaped like that. It's a fun, bouncy little bag and I really like it, but I think it was designed for a uni-directional swivel.

The Title or ProMex red bags (6*9) are a good size to work with to start, and are great on the No. 13 - especially after you change to a bouncier bladder. The ProMex branded bags have softer leather, are slightly larger than the Title branded bags, and the PM Yellow (5*8) is a little easier to hit than the Title Yellow (IMHO). Once you start going fast, the Title 5*8 characteristics are better appreciated.

Enjoy the journey.

Alan - your video is hilarious!! Great stuff as usual.

Last edited by PunchDrummer; 08-11-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:29 PM

MsDeville is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
It's pretty solid - I'll prolly still put a sandbag up though.
You'll hear, feel and see the difference in overall performance of the bag and drum if you put some weight on top. I wouldn't put something rock solid up there. It will only exaggerate the vibration and will rattle and shift. Forgive me for sounding like a broken record (remember those?! ), but I think the best thing to place on the drum is something heavy what will absorb and dissipate the vibration. You can pick up a box of Beadex Joint Compound at Lowe's for under $8. It's a square box that contains a plastic bag of thick, gooey joint compound. I think there are two sizes: 22 lb. and 48 lb. http://www.lowes.com/pd_92099-325-38...7C1&facetInfo=
I don't understand the physics of it, but, I think it really helps to cut down any extra noise from punching. And, it's easier and not as messy as a bag of sand. You just want to make sure not let an exposed screw puncture it.

Marlon's "fix" is a good one. (BTW, I don't get tired of seeing your platform, Marlon). That 2x4 can really help stabilize the outside edge of the drum during play. Not as good as a drum connected to a steel ceiling, but much better than no support at all!

I started out on a freestanding STEEL DRUM that my partner, Raul built. It's rock solid. Here is a video that shows the box of compound on top. We eventually put 3 boxes of the stuff on top – not that this platform needed it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQf4rxM3kz0

I was 3 months in to my speed bag addiction. It took me a little longer than the average bear to figure out the linking part of bagging. But, I persisted and it paid off.

Quote:
That's an Everlast Kangaroo 6X9 bag and one of Dee's No. 13 swivels. Dee's swivel mounts directly to the pre-drilled holes on the iBox - very easy. However, I did use the screws that came with the iBox since they seemed to fit a bit tighter in the pre-drilled holes that Balaz drilled. Dee's swivel took this screw quite well.
I would agree with PunchDrummer, regarding your speed bag. I find – for me, anyway – that bag with a wider belly, like a bell-shaped bag – gives me better play on the drum. Fewer "helicopters." I had an Everlast Elite (looked like your Kangaroo bag). It tended to "drag" when I punched. The Kangaroo bag is probably a lot lighter than the Elite, but have you noticed if the the Kangaroo bag does the same, or does it go all wacky (with a mis-hit) because it's so light?

Quote:
Whoa ... I thought I could do basic rhythms but no ... I need to relearn a tad. I was using a Master Link Chain Swivel to learn on and the No. 13 is way different in the way it reacts. I didn't initially believe this would be true but the ball-hook swivel is more "organic" and less "robotic" ... like the chain swivel was. It's all cool - I'll continue to work on it till I pick it up again.

One thing I noticed is that the ball-hook swivel DEMANDS that you hit in the right spot or it audibly protests to you! A good hit and it gives a pleasant sound - bad hit in the wrong spot and it lets you know! Now this is aggravating right now - but I think it will train me better to hit the right spot. Obviously the chain swivel I was using masked some problems in my technique. So yeah - very happy with your swivel Dee - at this point anyway!
Yes, a ball-hook really hones your skills. The Deville can be a slippery rascal at first. And, yes, it does DEMAND accuracy in your punches. This all comes with practice, of course. In a week or so, you'll have your muscle memory kicking in. Just watch a few more of Alan's videos to make sure your stance and positioning is correct. Sticking with the basic punches till you have them down pat, along with keeping both your elbows up throughout your exercise will make a big difference in improving your skills.

Patience and Practice = Perfection

Keep on bagging!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

Dee ... thanks for the advice ...

Okay well it's been a few days since I posted about my troubles getting the ball hook to make friends with me. I'm in a vastly better position now having played with it a lot more.

Yeah - the Kangaroo bag is light and probably too light for a novice like me but I'm getting used to it. It really takes some precision punching to keep it going with a good rythm ... a mispunch, even a small one, and it starts to go off kilter and you just will not bring it back before it goes into helicopter mode. LOL.

I ordered that black and yellow Title bag - hopefully that has a bit more weight. One of the problems is me ... I'm sure. I am a very big guy and I am just not used to "subtle" and "precision" moves. Sort of like when Clark Kent tries to turn a door knob and breaks the whole door off the hinges. One of the reasons I decided to pick up the speed bag was to help me with precision and subtlety.

Thanks for the tip on the joint compound! I'll be looking that for that today or tomorrow! Do you take this stuff out of the box or just throw it on top of the drum in the box?

And ... I got Alan's DVD in and so I'm going through that, and the speed bag bible. I plopped the DVD into my player and put it on my big-screen and my wife comes into the living room and says ... "Who the f*** is that?" and I say ... "What? You don't know who that is? Don't talk to me girl!" LOL

Last edited by Thor; 08-19-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:17 AM

MsDeville is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Dee… Thanks for the tip on the joint compound! I'll be looking that for that today or tomorrow! Do you take this stuff out of the box or just throw it on top of the drum in the box?
It stays right in the box. That's the beauty of it. It works best on platforms that don't have the V design, but, hopefully you can make it work with your I-box.

I think Marlon has the best "fix" for vibration with the 2x4 between the ceiling and the top of the drum. But, in my opinion, that box of mud helps to absorb excess noise. Something your wife will appreciate, I'm sure.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Speed Bag Guru

Chris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond repute
I also have the adjustable Ibox platform and I like it very much. It's a bit of a bear to install by yourself the first time, but after you have it up, it's a piece of cake. If I had any criticism at all, it is that if/when you want to adjust it, it's not very easy because I have a custom made 1 1/2 inch cherry drum I made for it and a sand bag on top. It is kind of heavy to move with one arm and tighten a knob to hold it in place. If it had some kind of notches instead of just a long slot to move the arms in, it would make it a little easier.

I don't regret buying it and I love how solidly it is made. I would definitley buy another one if I needed another!
Old 08-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
I have a custom made 1 1/2 inch cherry drum I made for it and a sand bag on top.
Is the cherry drum a solid peace of wood?

I was thinking of replacing my stock drum with a 2 inch pine slice (with the tree rings) - kiln dried, sanded and laquered.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Speed Bag Guru

Chris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond reputeChris M has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Is the cherry drum a solid peace of wood?

I was thinking of replacing my stock drum with a 2 inch pine slice (with the tree rings) - kiln dried, sanded and laquered.
No, I laminated it with several inch thick pieces. It's a better idea to make any large plank such as a table top, etc., out of several pieces rather than one large piece because it is more stable and less prone to warping. This is why most electric guitars (even back in the 50's hey day) are at least two planks that are painted around the edges and/or have a laminate top of prettier wood. Even very expensive fine furniture, both new and old are made this way as well. I think there's a link on here somewhere that I posted of my drum. I'll see if I can find it.

Besides, finding a piece of cherry that wide would be very, very difficult. I've never seen a piece of cherry wider than about 8 or 10 inches. To illustrate what I mean about warping, think about any deck or dock you've seen that was made with 8" wide decking. I bet you remember seeing those planks cupping to varying degrees. Using strips and laminating totally prevents that. I know the drum is used indoors and not subject to weather, water, etc., but you still will get it to a lesser degree due to humidity. But then again, I've been known to over-engineer and get anal about things. I'd rather over-engineer it once than be upset about it later and having to re-do it again later.

Edit: Found it. Scroll down to see the photos. I later attached that same drum to my ibox platform. I have details as to how I made it in the thread http://speedbagforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111

Last edited by Chris M; 08-21-2013 at 02:28 PM.