X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • speedball708
    • Apr 2015

Deville ball hook finally popped out

Had this deville swivel for a about 4 years and the brass ball finally popped out. I asked about it on this forum 2 years ago and people said it will wear in around the socket but won't pop out. I usually put some gorilla tape around the eyelet but I had this swivel outside and I started to enjoy the knocking noise of the swivel.
    When it popped out, I couldn't believe it. It's been such a great swivel and I was kinda sad I had to retire it.
    I replaced it with an everlast plastic housing and the deville brass ball. I had to cut the s hook to get the ball out so I will use a carabiner to connect my bag.
    The deville swivel is a great swivel and I highly recommend it. But I will always use some tape around the eyelet to protect the housing. I get attached to swivels and this deville swivel will be missed!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by speedball708; 09-09-2018, 07:21 PM.
  • jaja6009
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2016

Noooo. This is my nightmare. I knew I should of bought 2 Devilles when I had a chance. How many years did yours last?

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

Tribology is the key. I can't wait until the two of you put some serious mileage on my Arc swivel.
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

I don't recall the grade and type of Nylon that was used in these. I would have probably went with Nylotron, which has a higher strength and is impregnated with a dry lubricant. I've used it in low speed moderate load (under a thousand pounds) open bearings. It lasts forever. It's also been used in large pitch lower speed pinion drive gears that mesh with either cast iron or cut steel gears.

Comment

• rdshackleford
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
          I don't recall the grade and type of Nylon that was used in these. I would have probably went with Nylotron, which has a higher strength and is impregnated with a dry lubricant. I've used it in low speed moderate load (under a thousand pounds) open bearings. It lasts forever. It's also been used in large pitch lower speed pinion drive gears that mesh with either cast iron or cut steel gears.

https://www.copeplastics.com/nylatron.html
          But like I said, tribology is the key. When you have a metal ball banging around in a plastic socket, which part is going to win? The metal part, every time. After all the shock, impact, friction, heat, noise, etc. are imparted by the metal pieces upon the plastic piece, the plastic must yield.
          Last edited by rdshackleford; 10-02-2018, 05:30 PM.
          @ArcSwivel
          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• speedball708
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by jaja6009 View Post
            Noooo. This is my nightmare. I knew I should of bought 2 Devilles when I had a chance. How many years did yours last?
            Lasted about 4 years. Couldn't believe it popped out! Had it outside for about a year and half. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Comment

• speedball708
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
              Tribology is the key. I can't wait until the two of you put some serious mileage on my Arc swivel.
              I'll probably wrap the eyelet just so it stays in good shape.

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

What Rusty said about the metal ball in the nylon base is dead on. Plus any kind of dust or dirt that finds it way in will accelerate the wearing process. Keeping it clean of all foreign material is vital to prolonging the life of the swivel.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...