• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

The Speed Bag Bible

I've been hesitant to write this review because, to be honest, there's so much to this book, it boggles the mind.

The Speed Bag Bible is exactly what the title purports it to be, a comprehensive guide to the equipment, techniques, and combinations of the speed bag. This book is impressive for both it's depth and breadth. Numerous photographs, illustrations, and a shorthand similar to musical notation are used to convey the techniques and combinations.

Every aspect of speed bag training is covered, from equipment (a generous 8 pages including everything from selection to maintenance), stance, swing, contact areas of the fist and elbow, and most importantly the 24 techniques from the front, back, and side of the bag. As if that wasn't enough - kicks(!), advanced combinations, and keeping time to music are also thrown in.

The book totals 224 pages of content and will be one of the most information dense instructional manuals you will ever come across. For a look at the table of contents, use this Amazon.com link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0964...06#reader-link

Alan Kahn has done a great service to the future of this sport by committing his vast speed bag knowledge to paper (and DVD). If you are interested in speed bag you should have this book, and if you're not interested in the book, you really should have one (or more) of the DVDs also available.
  • speedboy
    • Feb 2006

and how is the dvd?

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by speedboy View Post
      and how is the dvd?
      Which one? There's 6 of them I haven't had a chance to watch them all yet!!!

2 hr training program - I have watched this - great stuff, it covers the majority of what is in the book. This is the DVD you want to get first. Highly recommended.

Discs 1 through 4 - These cover what the 2hr DVD does but in much, much more detail- I've watched most of these at least twice... but I'm still soaking it all in

Rythm and Rehab - I have not gotten to this one yet, simply due to lack of time.

I fully intend on having a full write up... some day

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        Which one? There's 6 of them I haven't had a chance to watch them all yet!!!

2 hr training program - I have watched this - great stuff, it covers the majority of what is in the book. This is the DVD you want to get first. Highly recommended.

Discs 1 through 4 - These cover what the 2hr DVD does but in much, much more detail- I've watched most of these at least twice... but I'm still soaking it all in

Rythm and Rehab - I have not gotten to this one yet, simply due to lack of time.

I fully intend on having a full write up... some day
        As the author of this material, Let me address the DVD's, since I have intimate knowledge of their content.

first, Tim is correct. there are currently six DVD's.

The single two hour "comprehensive DVD" covers the basic 24 individual punching and elbow striking techniques, and linking combinations with them.

The four disc series is more comprehensive, in that each DVD covers one aspect of the bag. DVD1 = Equipment and seven basic punching techniques (front and reverse punching, linking). DVD2= review disk 1 and twelve elbow strikes. DVD3= review disks 1,2, then six side punching techniques.

the information in DVD series 1,2,3 cover the 24 techniques in more detail than the single DVD, but they are on the same topics.

DVD4 = Advanced combinations, starts with a review disks 1,2,3 then covers most of what is in chapter 10 or the book. It presents some advanced theory on angles of fist entry and rebound, and how they can be used to create many combinations that "stretch" the rules of rhythm, particularly with the multi-fist techniques (double punches, Triple Elbow Strikes). It also covers some echo combinations [creating a six or seven beat (punch) sequence, and reproduce that same beat with different techniques from all around the bag].

If most people can do 24 techniques taught on the single "comprehensive DVD", then DVD4 "advanced" of the series, would be the next logical progression.

Rhythm and Rehab is a DVD dedicated to showing how the speed bag may be used as a rehabilitation activity. It was shot four years after the above video's and does feature some new information. First, it has the "four step progression" of learning and using the bag (which allows for much less functional, timing ability) and also has information on how to develop specifically targeted workouts to address specific physical needs of the individual. All of these are required for an individual or a rehab therapist to develop a specific rehab program with the speed bag. The making of this DVD was the natural result of my own experience, and I thought it would be helpful to others facing the same or similiar challenges. It does not teach or show all 24 techniques, but only the easiest and most "rehab friendly" techniques.

Had I the chance to do all of this over, I wish the four step sequence was in the earlier DVD's, for it is an easier method for the rhythmically challenged.

I also regret that none of these DVD's has menu's. They are straight play DVD's and when you skip forward, they go about 3 minutes forward.

The video footage was not shot in a television or production studio, with top level video camera, editing equipment. They were shot in a small spare bedroom converted to a "home studio", which was very difficult to light without many hard shadows. There was no makeup artists or behind the scenes technical advisors. There were no investors or underwriters. It was all done on the top Prosumer (home level) video equipment of the mid 1990's. All purchased and maintained personally. I've been told by many that the "production values" (lighting, sound, editing,etc) are not top quality. I know that. It was the best I could afford to teach what I know.
        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I had not intended to even post in this thread, or review threads on others teaching programs, but I thought explaining the DVD content within the Speed Bag Bible DVD's would be helpful to know about. I have no financial or personal connection to anyone commenting in this thread. I welcome all comments pro and con.
        Last edited by Speedbag; 09-16-2006, 04:20 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• speedboy
          • Feb 2006

thanks Tim and Alan for the precisions i want to buy the book but my english is not perfect as you can see!

and does the 2 hours dvd has some advanced techniques? or just the basics?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Speed Bag Bible DVD

thanks Tim and Alan for the precisions i want to buy the book but my english is not perfect as you can see!

and does the 2 hours dvd has some advanced techniques? or just the basics?
            that single 2hr "comprehensive" DVD is devoted to the 24 techniques and basic combinations using them. I think the only advanced combination on the comprehensive 2hr DVD is "advanced Front-Fist Rolling", and then it is just thrown in pretty quick at the end (pretty easy....)

Your question highlights why I even did the 4-DVD series. There was no way to include all the advanced combo information on that "comprehensive" DVD. It is also it's own topic, and not for everyone. Beginners have no need to try and mess with the info in the "advanced" sections of the material. And not everyone wants that level of information. But DVD-4, "advanced combinations" begins with a review of ALL techniques, and samples of my freestyle hitting. And I clearly state if you can't do and don't understand what I just did, then the new (advanced) information will be difficult. the advanced combo's do demand a high level of expertice from all around the bag. I have to assume that ability to go any further.

I don't want to frustrate someone under the board, showing them way more than they can handle. The side techniques and advanced combo's can get fairly complicated, so I put them later in my sequential teaching order.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• speedboy
              • Feb 2006

ok thanks and where can i buy the dvd volume 4? please

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

speed bag bible info

ok thanks and where can i buy the dvd volume 4? please
                There are several online vender sources:

Ringside boxing

Ambersports.com

or directly from me. contact me either by PM from this board or from speedbagcentral.com contact page

(also, there are no independent online vender sites for Rhythm & Rehab. This specialty DVD is only available from me.)
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• INDYFIGHTER
                  • Sep 2006

Ordered the 2hr comprehensive DVD today. Can't wait to get started!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

speed bag bible

Originally posted by INDYFIGHTER View Post
                    Ordered the 2hr comprehensive DVD today. Can't wait to get started!
                    Let me know if you get "stuck".

(* Hint: watch only one or two technique or topic sections at a time. Do a little "air punching" to learn the movements, and even voice the rebounding sounds. It will all be that much more familiar when you do get under the board.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roscoe
                      • May 2006

Thanks Alan

[QUOTE=Speedbag;749]There are several online vender sources: "...or directly from me. contact me either by PM from this board or from speedbagcentral.com contact page"

I bought two sets each of the bible & DVD's, one for me & one for my brother.

We were lost but now we're found!

Roscoe
                      Last edited by Roscoe; 04-10-2007, 12:35 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Kyle
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Nov 2006

awesome ive herd very good things about the bible and DVD i plan on getting the DVDs very soon. (especially if i win my weekly poker match this weekend )
                        ________
                        Petite Cam
                        Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:20 AM.

Comment

• whiptats
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Dec 2008

I wonder

how clean i can mount my TV above my platform. Seems almost like a new product idea.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by whiptats View Post
                            how clean i can mount my TV above my platform. Seems almost like a new product idea.
                            Some people I know use a laptop to refer to the DVD as they punch. They set up a small stool or table by the bag and set their laptop with a DVD player on it.

An easier way is to "air punch" the movements slowly and sound out the rebound sounds so your hands learn how to move and your ears get to hear the "beat". Then with some muscle memory go try it slowly on the bag.

(* by the way, that is why I wrote the book first, thinking that one could always take the book under the board, read and mimic the movements, then take it to the bag. I had never seen a TV or video player (vhs back then) in a training gym or by a speed bag, hence a book would make more sense. I didn't shoot the video's until over a year later.....)
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Speed Bag Bible

Every time I open this book, I learn something new! It's all there! It can be overwhelming at first, but when you are questioning something you are working on, you can easily find it and get straight to improving technique.
                              The DVD's are great. It's helpful to at least have the 2 Hr. Training Program DVD to really see exactly what Alan is explaining in the book.
                              All in all, if you're excited about baggin' and going beyond the standard patterns, Alan Kahn's Speed Bag Bible is the only real place to go!
                              Thanks Alan!
                              KEEP ON BAGGIN'!
                              Last edited by spinsmashpop; 12-11-2008, 03:31 AM. Reason: bothersome incorrect spelling!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...