X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Teetu
    • Aug 2006

Another DIY platform

Before I talk about my homemade platform, I just wanted to mention how excellent these forums are as well as speedbag central- which motivated me to get into speed bagging.

I purchased a speed bag years ago, when I was a teenager and had no concept of building anything. I was never able to hang it in a proper setting, and therefore lost interest since I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a platform. Now that I have learned some basic woodworking skills I really wanted to make my own platform and start speed bagging. The affordable models didn't seem to solid to me and I know I wouldn't be satisfied with them, and I wanted something more heavy duty like the $400+ models.

So I constructed this out of some very simple materials that were quite cheap, and my only hope was that it was extremely solid. I bought 1 round 24" board that was 1 1/4" thick ($12), a 2X4, and a 3/4" piece of plywood- which cost less than $25 total. I had some spare stuff around that I ended up using as well like some corner brackets, but those only cost a few bucks. I made sure to use generous amounts of wood glue so that it was really solid, and the corner brackets are kind of overkill but reassuring nonetheless. I can also put extra weight in the box in the center if need be, and it should be pretty secure in there.

I'm going to end up finishing it by staining the platform and painting the support area black, just cause I'm a huge nerd and wanted it to look "finished". I wanted a thicker 2" platform, but I'm too lazy to make my own (glue to pieces of wood together then use a router to make them circular). This is of course not adjustable, but I'm really the only one thats going to use it.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? I'll post some more pics once its sanded/stained/painted.
    Attached Files
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Hi and welcome. Looks solid. Where did you buy the round wood at ?

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

DIY speed bag unit

The whole unit looks well constructed and solid.

The rebound board ( or drum ) does not have to be round, for the bag will form its own rebound ring around the swivel. Larger bags create larger circles. But your board looks really good. Hope it all works for you.

good luck and welcome to the forum!.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Teetu
        • Aug 2006

I got everything from Menards (I think it's only in the midwest). They usually have better prices than Home Depot or Lowes on lumber. I only found particle board drums at HD, and lowes was twice as much as menards and not as thick (I also thought the wood at menards was nicer). Lowes did have 36" ones though.

I know the drum doesn't have to be round, but I really wanted it to be round for the more "classic" look. I also wanted it to be real wood versus MDF or something, just so it looked good.

I also considered using steel for the support system, and someone here might want to give it a try. There is always a section in the home centers where they have individual pieces of steel in various thickinesses. I was going to get some of the thick stuff that has holes in it already, and it would have cost about $25 for all the steel. I knew it wouldn't wobble or anything, but I opted to use wood because I felt it would be heavier and provide less vibration. It would have looked like this if I used steel- title platform
        Last edited by Teetu; 08-08-2006, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Teetu
          I got everything from Menards (I think it's only in the midwest). They usually have better prices than Home Depot or Lowes on lumber. I only found particle board drums at HD, a
          That's interesting, Lowes and HD don't seem to carry anything round in my neighborhood (FL).

Looks nice, definitely keep us updated when you get it finished.

Comment

• Chris M
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2006

I was going to make an outdoor platform out of steel. I actually drew up plans and figured I needed roughly 25 linear feet or so of 1 1/2" angle iron in order to do it properly. However, after pricing out the cost of all that angle iron I got discouraged until I noticed someone in my neighborhood was throwing away an old bed. Guess what most bed rails are made out of? I started keeping my eyes peeled for people throwing away old bed rails and just about had enough to begin cutting and welding until I found a great deal on a nice adjustable Title platform that retails for about $600 that I got for about $150 + shipping, so I went with that.

If anyone else here is considering making a platform and want to use steel, there is a cheap alternative by using discarded bed rails. Most of them are around 7' long, but you're going to lose about 4" or so after you cut off the ends.

Comment

• Teetu
              • Aug 2006

I'm all finished with the platform and it turned out really solid (it's all about the wood glue). The drum itself turned out 10X better than I expected, and considering its a $12 piece of wood stained with some $4 miniwax polyshades it really looks good although the pictures don't do it justice. I used pocket screws so I didn't have to drill through the underside of the drum (I thought it would be nice to have a clean surface). I already had some of the supplies (black paint, screws, glue, etc) but overall I spent around $30 on it.

Unforunately I can't really use it yet because I won't get my speed bags until Monday. Right now all I have is this 8 X 13 bag that kind of awkward, but it does have the metal everlast hook & ball mount. With the new bags and speed bag bible I hope to start some serious study of speed bagging.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Teetu; 08-11-2006, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Teetu, that looks fantastic... and for a mere $30 !!!

Nice work. Keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

• Teetu
                  • Aug 2006

should I be sucking this much on a 8 X 13 bag? It seems like it's too big and therefore a little too slow- even for a beginner. I've seen it advertised sometimes as a striking bag as opposed to speed bag (or are these phrases interchangeable).

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Board

That is one AWESOME board! wow.

I haven't seen an 8x13 in years. That is a really large bag. I would only recommend that size to someone looking to build strength and endurance by pounding a bag that large. Unless you are targeting some strength and power punching, I would go to a smaller size. It will be more difficult to pass the fists through that bag and the size of the arm swing needed to keep it going is not recommended for someone beginning to learn.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Xerxes
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Dec 2017

necessarily synchronized but rather improvising changing punchers during the song.

จีคลับ
                      Last edited by Xerxes; 03-16-2018, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...