• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Bag comparison

I picked up a few assorted speed bags in preparation for the Orlando seminar on 5/26. Here's a variety of bags from different vendors for comparison:

From left to right, top row:

Title Classic 8x5 5.2oz
    Rival 8x5 5.8oz *** The Title web site calls this an 8x5, but I think it's a "small" 8x5 ***
    Everlast 6x4 6.5 oz
    Top Contender 7x4 4oz (!)
    Ringside 6x4 4oz (!) *** The Ringside web site calls this an 8x5, I think it's 6x4 or 7x4

Bottom row:
    Title 11x8 9.2 oz
    Title 10x7 8oz
    Everlast 9x6 8 oz
    Title 8x5 6oz

The two 4 ounce bags are incredibly light. It's like punching nothing, especially after hitting the 8 oz and 9oz bags for any amount of time.

No video yet I need a 6 pin to 4 pin FireWire cable to import video to my new computer.

Here's a shot to compare the 11x8 to the 7x4:

Last edited by Tim; 05-08-2007, 09:44 PM.
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

yummy...hurry up and get that cable!!

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I've been using the Title 9x6 red bag a lot lately. Nice feel for a 9x6. And the seams between the panels are a lot less evident than a few other bags.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Clint
        • Apr 2007

Thanks for the comparison Tim. Interesting how all the bags in the top row are basically the same height. The Everlast 6x4 looks to be a nice shape. I picked up a Cleto Reyes XS a few days ago. It measures 7"x4.5". Fantastic bag. I'll post a comparison of the six bags I have tomorrow.

Comment

• jaguiler
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jan 2007

I like the bag comparison posts - makes shopping a lot easier.....

Comment

• saifullah21
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Nov 2006

interesting that the everlast 6x4 is heavier than the classic title 8x5. tim, how does that 6x4 compare to the top contender bag? i've been thinking about a new bag and have been eyeing the classic title and that everlast bag.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by saifullah21 View Post
              interesting that the everlast 6x4 is heavier than the classic title 8x5. tim, how does that 6x4 compare to the top contender bag? i've been thinking about a new bag and have been eyeing the classic title and that everlast bag.
              I haven't had a chance to use the new Everlast extensively. This weekend I'll try to post some video of each bag in action.

The difference between the Classic 8x5 and the Everlast 6x4 is in the materials it's made with I guess.
              The classic 8x5 is one of the lightest bags you can get, for it's size.

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                • May 2007

light bags

Originally posted by Clint View Post
                Thanks for the comparison Tim. Interesting how all the bags in the top row are basically the same height. The Everlast 6x4 looks to be a nice shape. I picked up a Cleto Reyes XS a few days ago. It measures 7"x4.5". Fantastic bag. I'll post a comparison of the six bags I have tomorrow.
                That's the bag of bags there. I had one of those in my high school days when you had to show up with your own bag at the gym, it was always the drumroll compared to others. I currently own the Ringside 5x8 and I agree with Tim I think it is either 7x4 or smaller. I love how quick and durable it is.

Comment

• Clint
                  • Apr 2007

HMP is right. It's a beautiful bag. Buttery soft goatskin leather, impeccable craftsmanship, perfectly balanced. It even sounds different than other bags. Like it pads off the drum instead of slapping it. Weighs 5 3/8 oz. I love that Lonsdale Peanut but this Cleto Reyes is getting tons of drum time now.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
                    yummy...hurry up and get that cable!!
                    Video here: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...=3460#post3460
                    Last edited by Tim; 05-23-2007, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• JERSEY KID
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • May 2007

Thanks,Good review and reference on bags, right now I'm learning with an Everlast #4208 large bag since I'm a rookie 3 days in but I'm sure as I progress I will be looking for another bag.

Comment

• jmtii77
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • May 2007

does anyone have any feedback on the rival bags? they look nice but, i was wondering how their action was? i was thinking about getting one, thought i'd ask before i did! thanks

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by jmtii77 View Post
                          does anyone have any feedback on the rival bags? they look nice but, i was wondering how their action was? i was thinking about getting one, thought i'd ask before i did! thanks
                          I have the 8x5. I'd say it's good if you like a heavy 8x5, i.e. not a featherweight one. Some don't like the sensation of punching thin air, and the Rival 8x5 has enough size to it that it has a nice feel.

Compare to the Title Classic 8x5 which is a very lightweight bag for it's size.

Alan hit on the 8x5 I have while he was at my house - I swear this is the last time I'll brag about that Maybe he will chime in with his comments.

Comment

• Kyle
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Nov 2006

i have the rival 9x6 since january and love it. holding up great good action to
                            ________
                            ELYSABETH
                            Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:26 AM.

Comment

• riqal
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Aug 2006

not impressed with top contender 7 x 4

I bought that top contender 7 x 4 because I thought that since it was so light it would move fast. It doesn't. My everlast 7 x 4 moves faster with the same about of punching force, and it is a heavier bag. I think this might be because the loop on the top contender bag is longer. I was a little reluctant to order this bag because the loop looked too long. I was going to order some title bags but they look like they would have the same problem with the longer loop. The everlast bags are great, and I am going to order the tuf-wear 10 x 7 because their loops look like the everlast loops.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...