• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

What have I been up to?

Okay, first off, thank you for the nice birthday wishes. I haven't been around much because I've been very busy doing a lot of things. I have missed you guys and will make an effort to come around more. I appreciate the friends I've made here very much.

Secondly, since I've gotten myself back into shape over the past several years, I've gotten the idea in my head to finish out my National Guard career and retire. I've been out for about 8 years and I'm 47 today. I already have 14 good years and decided almost a year ago to start looking into getting back in and finish my career and retire. After many physicals, forms, waivers, etc., I hope to be sworn back in tomorrow. It's a very long story, but I'm SOO close to finally being back.
    \
    Third, I may be moving up to metaldad's neck of the woods sometime this summer. Another long story, but my wife is going to be getting a promotion soon, and Tinley Park, IL (SE suburb of Chicago) looks like one of the stronger candidates.

I've been hitting the gym and running like a madman for the past two years or so since recovering from my tennis elbow. I wanted to be in top condition when/if I got back into the guard. That alone has consumed a large part of my waking hours.

I had 4 kidney stones in the last half of 2009 and surgery to remove one that got stuck in January. They are absolutely the most painful thing I have ever experienced. Even strong prescription narcotics did not remove the pain. You DO NOT want kidney stones. Long story short after much testing, prodding, giving of samples, and poking is I was simply not properly hydrating myself. So drink till you pee clear and keep doing it! Don't learn your lesson the hard way like I did. Trust me on that one.

My outdoor bag setup is in sorry shape. The wood drum split over the winter right down the middle. I can fix it, I just need to take it down, put it on the old jointer and square of up those mating surfaces again, install some biscuits and it will be like brand new, after I reseal it of course which is what started all this. I still have my indoor drum and it works like a champ, but in all honesty, I haven't used it in months. I've been concentrating more on weight lifting, pushups, situps, and running than anything else.

I hope to catch up more with you guys soon, and if I move to the Chicago area Metaldad, we've GOT to get together!
    Last edited by Chris M; 06-07-2010, 06:18 PM.
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Glad to hear everything is working out. Hope to see you around on the forums!!! But we understand you are busy

And congrats on getting back in to the guard, no small feat at age 47 I would guess.
    Last edited by Tim; 06-07-2010, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

HI Chris, Good to hear from you. We been wondering what's up. Live your dreams, and good luck with the wife's promotion. Sorry to hear about your Kidney Stones. OUCH! Never had them myself but I've seen family members and friends with them.

God Bless ya for the National Guard work. We need more like you.
      Keep Punching.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

I was just notified that we have a tentative time of 11:00 today to go get sworn back in. The only thing holding me up is verification of my time already served. Don't know why, I have every piece of paperwork ever given to me by the Army for 14 years, but we're dealing with the gov't.

I'll let you know, thanks Alan!

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

Raised my right hand about an hour ago and got back in for 8 years! That will get me 2 years past the time I need to retire.

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
            Raised my right hand about an hour ago and got back in for 8 years! That will get me 2 years past the time I need to retire.
            Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your past and future service to our country.

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

Okay, first off, thank you for the nice birthday wishes. I haven't been around much because I've been very busy doing a lot of things. I have missed you guys and will make an effort to come around more. I appreciate the friends I've made here very much.

\
              Third, I may be moving up to metaldad's neck of the woods sometime this summer. Another long story, but my wife is going to be getting a promotion soon, and Tinley Park, IL (SE suburb of Chicago) looks like one of the stronger candidates.

I had 4 kidney stones in the last half of 2009 and surgery to remove one that got stuck in January. They are absolutely the most painful thing I have ever experienced. Even strong prescription narcotics did not remove the pain. You DO NOT want kidney stones. Long story short after much testing, prodding, giving of samples, and poking is I was simply not properly hydrating myself. So drink till you pee clear and keep doing it! Don't learn your lesson the hard way like I did. Trust me on that one.

I hope to catch up more with you guys soon, and if I move to the Chicago area Metaldad, we've GOT to get together!
              First Happy birthday!!!! second, Tinley Park!?? Twenty minutes from me! We will definitely hook up! Keep us posted. Mere minutes from The First Midwest Ampi--whatever theater........I still call it the Big Tin Box That Makes you Really Deaf.......Third, Back In the Guard!? Can you really do that? I've got two years in and 7 years in the Corps plus two years inactive Reserve with the Corps. I better get crackin' on the water.....I was having some problems that turned out to be my sciatica and some veeeeeeery small stones were found as well

I was just notified that we have a tentative time of 11:00 today to go get sworn back in. The only thing holding me up is verification of my time already served. Don't know why, I have every piece of paperwork ever given to me by the Army for 14 years, but we're dealing with the gov't.
              Your Bureaucracy at work!

Outstanding!! Congrats to you brother!!
              Last edited by metaldad; 06-08-2010, 08:30 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Congrats man. Live your dream, no excuses.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                  First Happy birthday!!!! second, Tinley Park!?? Twenty minutes from me! We will definitely hook up! Keep us posted. Mere minutes from The First Midwest Ampi--whatever theater........I still call it the Big Tin Box That Makes you Really Deaf.......Third, Back In the Guard!? Can you really do that? I've got two years in and 7 years in the Corps plus two years inactive Reserve with the Corps. I better get crackin' on the water.....I was having some problems that turned out to be my sciatica and some veeeeeeery small stones were found as well

Your Bureaucracy at work!

Outstanding!! Congrats to you brother!!
                  Metaldad, believe it or not, but they've significantly raised all the standards for getting in. All the units are at or near 100% strength, hence the reason it took me a while to find the right job and rank to get back in if you meet all the other standards such as physical, height/weight, PT, background check, etc. The maximum age is 35 years old, but for prior service members, they subtract your time served from your actual age. If that number is less than 35, you can get in. In my case, I'm 47 with 16 years creditable service (although I only have 14 for for retirement because 2 of those was inactive) which makes me 31 in the eyes of the Army. I really wanted that retirement and they passed a law recently that says GI Bill benefits can be passed to your immediate family. This is what got me very interested in getting back in. I want the GI Bill benefits for my 12 year old son. The caveat is that you have to have served since 9/11 and there is a 10 year limitation from the time you are discharged. So, getting back in for me not only will get me working towards retirement again, it will significantly reduce my worries about paying for my son's college in 5 years. I got out as a Captain in 2003, but am getting back in as a Staff Sergeant. Long story, but I want it that way. I resigned my commision when I was discharged and if I REALLY pushed it, I could have gotten back in as an officer, but honestly.... I quit having fun when I became a Captain. I spent all my time in staff meetings, planning, and doing administrative work. That's not what I enjoy doing. It was most enjoyable as a Lieutenant when I was out in the field with the guys. I was able to come back in at the highest enlisted rank held prior to attending OCS. This is perfect for me and I'll still reitre at the highest rank held and get a Captain's retirement pay. Besides, if I wanted to go back in as an Officer, I would have to get into a Major's slot, which is VERY hard to come by. It just worked out best all the way around for me doing it this way. My new unit is in Galesburg about an hour and a half from me.

And I will absolutely let you know if I get up to the Chicago area. Hell, I might even ask for advice on neighborhoods when/if I end up house hunting. I know very little about Chicago other than the occasional jaunts up there. I won't know anything for at least a month though.
                  Last edited by Chris M; 06-09-2010, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...